Jet Extractor hoses blocking.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honest John

Established Member
Reaction score
Today I found it necessary to mill some pallet wood boards for a project to make a craft box for my grand daughter to store her craft bits and pieces. Most of the time I use hand tools, but as I was feeling weary and there was quite a lot to do to later pick out the best parts, I used my planer, to surface one side and an edge square to it. The opposite edge I jointed on my table saw, and I then lifted out my SIP bench top planer thicknesser. As I happen to have a cast iron topped jointer table I only use this dual device in thicknessing mode. Can’t remember the last time I used it, as I like using hand tools. Anyway. I used my JET extractor on each of the three machines, connecting via a 100mm flexible hose. Jointer and table saw were fine, but the thicknesser was blocking every couple of passes. The JET extractor does have a sort of spider at the inlet which blocks sometimes when I use the flex hose to collect dust and shavings at my lathe, but I suppose it’s there to prevent solid lumps hitting the fan blades. I know planers and thicknessers produce a lot of output, but I was finding my set up almost unusable. What is conventional wisdom on addressing this issue. Would some sort of separator be appropriate to collect the shaving near to the machine and keep the longer hose clear? Apologies if this has been covered before. I suspect this may be one of those things that everybody but me knows how to address.

Honest John":11n7bjj3 said:
The JET extractor does have a sort of spider at the inlet which blocks sometimes when I use the flex hose to collect dust and shavings at my lathe, but I suppose it’s there to prevent solid lumps hitting the fan blades.

You have to cut that off. One of mine had one and it was always clogging up because of the large volume of shavings, so I snipped it with a pair of tin snips and haven't had a problem since. This would, of course, void any warranty present.

I took the spider/grill thing out of mine, think most people do. I presume it's just there to stop you if you ever feel the urge to poke your fingers in the fan blades.

Right then. It’s coming out tomorrow. I’ve had the extractor for a number of years so there’s no warrantee issues. I’m sure it will be better without the grid.

Post Script.
When I came to snipping out the plastic spiders on the two 100mm inlets as has been suggested, I found that the removal of a couple of screws allowed the whole plastic spider thingies to be removed. It’s a lot better now. Although I have not used my thicknesser again, the improvement when cleaning shavings and debris from the floor and benches is huge and it doesn’t block at all now. Il just have to remember now that it’s a bit trickier to recover items that are accidentally sucked up the tube when cleaning round my lathe. Previously they never got further than this plastic spider.

It is purely to stop stupidity. If you are the only one using it, thats fine. but if anyone else is even likely to use it, you could have a problem with liability.
keep the part safe, then if its ever sold on you can reinstall it.

Bob, I’ve put the two plastic parts and screws in a bag in a secure place :shock: just in case I ever move it on. I’ve been converting some more rough timber today, and the extractor worked perfectly coping with the output from my thicknesser. Bit of a result really.

Back