Jet engine enthusiasts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian Dalziel

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if there are any other jet enthusiasts within this group.
I currently have 3 Palouste engines and have just bought a Rolls Royce Viper.....Taken from a jet provost RAF trainer.

Problem...the starter motor and shaft etc had to stay on the plane so i'm trying to suss out how best to start it. I have made up a new wiring loom and used an old dashboard from a provost and just about ready to give it a go.
Also i've powered the coil on it and it gives a fair old crack every 3 seconds at 36000 volts......does this sound normal....the palouste starters dont sound anything like it.
anyone work for rolls royce and able to give me a heads up on where i'll get a mating 34 spline shaft.

these engines are just kept for fun...and a project i nearly started :twisted:

Ian

Wow Ian!
You really have too much time on your hands! :wink: :lol:
Was the project a jet powered router??
Cheers
Philly :D

waterhead37":1vvtrvdz said:
Good grief Ian, is there anything you can't do??
Errr - get a jet engine started :D

So come on Ian, which issue of GWW is the wooden Jet Provost replica project going to be published in ? :lol:

Richard

I think its 10 yrs to late for me to be of help Ian, but I have put some feelers out to see if there is still anybody around who has worked on these.

Edit: See PM

Thanks for the contact Chas.

Tibbs....I havent got the viper running yet but i've rebuilt 2 of the paloustes and they are running lovely....they idle about 22000 rpm and go up to around 30000....i am trying to think of a way of afterburning them..they were aux engines out a viscount bomber from the 60's era.
On initial startup i was putting too much fuel through and was a bit of an a*** twitcher when they initially fired but once i sussed the mixture etc they run nice. the 3rd engine is a scrapper which i bought for spares for the other 2.

The viper engine is immaculate and runs a lot slower. just a challenge to get it going.

I have got a 50 foot sports cruiser boat (planing craft) which i am swithering to fit in either the smaller jets or the larger one....that should make it shift through the water. I bought a couple of humvee diesel engines for it and imported them in from the states and marinised them....very torquey but also very heavy and i fancied sticking a couple of jets on to help shift through the water

when i get home i'll take a little movie file of me firing them up and i'll put it on my website. its quite interesting.....especially when i get people round trying to take the micky then they run like h*** when its just starting far less when its running at full revs.

Chris....I havent found anything i cant do yet......when i get bored with something i move onto something else.......I am looking at robotics again...i tried away back in the late 80's but advancements since then have come leaps and bounds so something i am thinking about getting into

Frank :lol: :lol:

Ian

Ian

Forgive the dumb question from someone with rather more mundane hobbies but .... where exactly does one run a jet engine for fun?

Presumably you don't have it strapped to a Workmate on the patio? :?

....or do you?? :shock:

:lol:

Scott,
Ive' got a few lockups which i rent out and i keep them in there. the engines come with their own cradles and i simply bolt them to the concrete floor. the smaller engines only produce around 650lbs thrust so they are ok just being bolted down but the viper produces around 2750lbs thrust so its going to take a bit more securing.
the engines are beautiful pieces of engineering and are a dream to work on and are actually very simple.theyare not as complicated as they seem.
They certainly attract a crowd when i run them and fortunately the neighbours are very good and none have ever complained.most people are just curious when they think an aeroplane is about to land in their back garden
I work on various turbines although much much bigger...these are just playthings for now and probobly will endup on the boat.
I am toying with the idea of midmounting them rather than the usual rearmount and making some hydraulic arms to swing them outboard as and when i want a boost they will also be out of harms way if they decide to spit out a blade. I have got an old forklift truck with a good pump and a few cylinders to do the nessecary if the mood takes me.
It will certainly raise a few eyebrows on the way out the harbour if i ever get round to doing it.
Ps Mrs Dalziel doesnt like them she says the noise and vibration scare her but she never stops me from doing things i enjoy. she only ever makes me stop when i injure myself which has been known to happen says Ian whos still nursing a 1" deep stab wound in the arm who was very brave and allowed his wife to stitch it so as not to go to A and E....but she is a nurse and no there wasnt any anasthetic other than grouse :shock:
and no i'm not telling what i did except i wish i had gone to A&E and got an anasthetic

As for GWW i dont think they would be able to run a project on jet engines. but i'll ask :lol:

Ian

Ha haaaa! That's mad! A bloke that runs jet engines in his lockup! Brilliant! More power to you Ian! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've a GE turbine on the deck of my boat at the moment .... but I suppose I'll have to give it to the rig in the morning! :wink:

Ian wrote
Ive' got a few lockups which i rent out and i keep them in there. the engines come with their own cradles and i simply bolt them to the concrete floor. the smaller engines only produce around 650lbs thrust so they are ok just being bolted down
I live in North Wales and am used to jets flying around from Valley on the Isle of Anglesey, so much so that I hardly notice them, but from now on i will keep my eyes open for a flying garage floor. Can you give us a warning if any come in our direction.

Cheers Alan

Martin,
I do some pics over thew next few days.....I'll also take a movie file of me starting one of them.....and post it on my site

Ian

Latest posts

Back