Jet DC1100A extractor failure

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheptonphil

Scrumpy junkie
Reaction score
Hi All

I have a slight problem with my DC1100a extractor

The electric tripped and upon investigation found this

start capacitor
IMG_1596.jpg

Run capacitor
IMG_1597.jpg

IMG_1598.jpg

IMG_1600.jpg

The capacitors seemed a little warm :shock:

I can read the spec on the start capacitor, 200 MFD, 125 vac
the run capacitor is melted at just the wrong place, but online I have found it to be this 40UF, 250V from here http://www.mmtoolparts.com/store/jet-ru ... -dc1100-54

Where can I source a decent match capacitors as on the bay, all capacitors seem to state 450v

Axminster don't stock them.

Thanks for all help.

Phil

Attachments

• IMG_1596.jpg
    IMG_1596.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 1,212
  • IMG_1597.jpg
    IMG_1597.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,212
  • IMG_1598.jpg
    IMG_1598.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 1,212
  • IMG_1600.jpg
    IMG_1600.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,212
A higher voltage rating on the capacitor would not be a problem, in fact a higher rating is better ( they are probably run caps rather than start caps so are more durable). Make sure the capacitance is as close as you can get to the existing ones.

K

Thanks for info

I have found a twin terminal 200MFD 200uF AC 250V to replace the 200 MFD, 125 vac

and a 40UF 450vac twin terminal to replace the 40UF, 250V

Should these be compatible? Both are about £8.00 each

Stranger is that the writing on the start one is clearly 200MFD 125 VAC but on the jet site when checking the run version I noticed the start as quoted at 400UF 125VAC ( https://parts.jettools.com/SearchResults.aspx?s=dc1100 )

Is it better to replace like with like, or up the 200mfd one to a 400mfd one as per the parts list?

Phil

Sheptonphil":1ngql57d said:
Stranger is that the writing on the start one is clearly 200MFD 125 VAC but on the jet site when checking the run version I noticed the start as quoted at 400UF 125VAC ( https://parts.jettools.com/SearchResults.aspx?s=dc1100 )

Phil

Perhaps this is something to do with Yankish electricity??? I suggest you give Brimarc or Axminster a call; they'll usually be very helpful.
Duncan

Quick update,

I rewired anything that looked charred, cleaned up the start capacitor and it looked good, the run one was totally melted, although I did order a replacement for each (from China at £3 each).

The run capacitor replacement is physically larger, but ratings are identical.

Using the original start and the replacement run capacitors, I turned it on and,,,,,,,,

It works perfectly!! :D

And I was poised to spend £350 on a replacement extractor. Cost £6 for the two, of which I have one left over.

Result.

I wonder if the 125V rating was why the original ones failed. Someone in America (or China) didn't spot the discrepancy.

250V is probably wrong for a UK mains capacitor, or so I was told years ago, as it needs to accommodate the peak voltages of the wave. 240V is the RMS voltage, the peaks are almost 340V. So your 450V caps would be better. It depends on the capacitor design too, so it isn't necessarily incorrect, but a 125V cap may work but is decidedly risky.

You've prompted me to have a look at the ones on my extractor (a Delta). But I'm the second owner, it's old and built like a tank, so it's probably fine...

125v is not uncommon on imported motors. The run winding is used as an auto transformer to allow the start winding and capacitor to operate at lower voltage.

Back