Jet DC1100A Extractor and Filter Cartridge - PACKAGE DEAL

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PAC1":20wdmyhj said:
The Jet DC1100A is a great machine it has transformed my workshop, partly because it now lives in its own shed outside so I do not recycle the air.

Doesn't that make it a little cold in winter?

It's -5 C outside now for me, colder later in evening, would not want to expunge all my warm(ish) air outside!

I can separate the machine shop from the bench area, so far it has not been a problem. Ask me again in February.

I use a jet 1100 with fine filter in my home workshop and have found this to be significantly better than the smaller powered Charnwood filter bag jobbie that I replaced. I don't use ducting, but connect to my various machines by a single piece of the 100 mm flexible hose. I move the extractor nearer to the machine if required. Extraction from my bandsaw is good, and from my planer, adequate. My table saw extraction is pathetic, but I think this is more to do with the internal dust management (lol) on my Axminster ts250 which is a 100mm connector on the back of the saw, but which then seriously reduces beyond this point. Considering what has been said previously about air flow and duct size etc, would I be better off using both of the 100mm inlets from this collector? I could for instance leave my bandsaw permanently connected, and use the other inlet for any other machines. Clearly this collector is designed to work with 6 nich pipe, and I have only ever used 1 of the 100mm inlets at one time, and left the other capped off. Am I strangling the air flow?

Try it, take the cap off the other and see what happens. when I use my 100mm branch I now leave the 150mm blast gate slightly open about a third or a quarter. It seems to work better, but I would also be interested in other users views.
I know that since I installed the 150mm duct I have not had to stop and unblock the duct once, whereas in my old system it would block up every hour or so when thicknessing. It is harder to tell with the 100mm branch but the airflow readings I have taken suggest the fan is being starved of air.

I'd always thought 10cm was the "standard" and 15+ was for commercial premises, and that all these "small" extractors were designed for 10cm duct. And the Jet comes with 10cm ports... still, I've been wrong before, I'm sure.

Honest John":21slcaoq said:
My table saw extraction is pathetic, but I think this is more to do with the internal dust management (lol) on my Axminster ts250 which is a 100mm connector on the back of the saw, but which then seriously reduces beyond this point.

How about one to the back, and one to the crown guard. Then at the minimum your not wasting a second open port doing nothing. I find the dust inside my cabinet saw is a nuisance to clean, but otherwise of not much consequence, it's the dust above I really want to, (and struggle) to get rid of.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm going to try it out and see what happens. I had thought of using my shop vac in the crown guard and blocking off the connection to the 100 mm boss on the rear of the saw. Other than that, perhaps the second 100mm hose could be positioned near the table surface. It does seem to collect a deal of dust on the table surface, and the crown guard extraction as implemented by the manufacturer is next to negligible. The flexible hose between the back of the 100mm boss on the back of the saw and blade shroud is both significantly smaller than 100mm (maybe 60-70mm) and distorted to make the internal diam less than this, has clearly got serious implications for the airflow, given the information previously given regarding airflow,velocity, and hose diameter.

Honest John":21dapxpj said:
Thanks for your suggestions. I'm going to try it out and see what happens. I had thought of using my shop vac in the crown guard and blocking off the connection to the 100 mm boss on the rear of the saw. Other than that, perhaps the second 100mm hose could be positioned near the table surface. It does seem to collect a deal of dust on the table surface, and the crown guard extraction as implemented by the manufacturer is next to negligible. The flexible hose between the back of the 100mm boss on the back of the saw and blade shroud is both significantly smaller than 100mm (maybe 60-70mm) and distorted to make the internal diam less than this, has clearly got serious implications for the airflow, given the information previously given regarding airflow,velocity, and hose diameter.

Ah, you have effectively something like 2 x 50mm which feed into a 100mm. And the standard crown guard is not super good.

I had something very similar indeed with my Scheppach, and I think you'll get better results with a standard shop vac and a 35 to 100mm adaptor.

if you have a shop vac system (using vacuum, rather than extractor), this would probably also work. That's one reason I'm not sure why the extractor method is still used. Seems to be the size of filters and waste sacks you can have, resulting in less changing of both. Although the wall mounted Record has plenty of waste capacity. I'd guess the vacuums are also noisier than extractors.

Guess I'll find out soon enough ;-)

Back