Jet DC1100 NVR

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emstuv

Established Member
Reaction score
So I have a Jet DC1100 dust collector, and as it has a motor of a certain output it has an NVR installed. Why oh why put one on a dust collector? Saws..sure, routertable...sure.

Anyway, I am no electrician so I am not about to rewire anything.

However, I tested out simply taping the "ON" switch in. Then the plug remote worked. But can this damage the motor, i.e. if it overheats etc will it then just continue to run as the "ON" switch is pressed?

Any tips are appreciated.

The Jet DC1100 certainly never used to have a NVR switch. It was one of their selling points that it was an optional extra for remote control. How old is yours as the Jet site up to 2018 lists it as no NVR switch?

how did you manage to tape in the switch if it is NVR?

I’ve had my DC1100 for five years and it certainly hasn’t got one. i leave mine turned on all the time with the power button depressed and use remote switches in the workshop to control it. If you are using a standard Amazon echo type smart plug be aware they are not designed for inductive loads. The DC1100 draws 40+ Amps on startup, way more than the solid state smart switches are designed for so that’s what is most likely to overheat.

Maybe should have been a bit more specific, its the fancy vortex one. DC1100VX-CK or something.

It has a KJD12 switch installed, along with large capacitor and some other doo-hicky installed (I did open to take a look).

Like I said I did test it, holding the button in and using the remote. Allowed the motor to come to a complete halt, then turned it on again with the remote. With out depressing the ON switch I have to physically turn the machine on after stopping with the remote.

I should mention that I am in Norway using 230V 16A Type C (I believe fuse), not sure if that matters.

That’s a bummer then, without rewiring, which you’re not comfortable doing, holding the switch in is your only option.

I bypassed the nvr on my itech extractor, it's now controlled with a remote socket. All I did was connect the incoming live to the motor live and the same with the neutrals. All in it took about 5 mins. If you are not confidant coukdnt you get a local spark to do it?

Matt

I'll ask some of the guys at my work, there are some sparkies there.

Its not that I am not comfortable, its just that the rules in Norway regarding rewiring or even putting in wiring is very strict. You are barely allowed to plug in the kettle.

The cost is ridiculous, i.e. we had a new fireplace put in so we had to move a junction box in the ceiling that went to the downlights. 4 hours later I had a bill of £800 (NOK10500). Highway robbery!

But I digress.

By having the ON switch always in, can that in anyway damage the unit? Like I said earlier overheating etc?

The cost is ridiculous, i.e. we had a new fireplace put in so we had to move a junction box in the ceiling that went to the downlights. 4 hours later I had a bill of £800
Might have been cheaper to leave the junction box where it was and move the house?

If it is a standard NVR configuration, it should not cause any problems. The switch just energises a relay coil, which remains energised anyway once the momentary start switch is activated. but better to check for sure. It may use something more sophisticated. Others may know the actual design of NVR used.

Just be aware, taping the Start switch may prevent the stop button from operating, should you try to use it. There's normally a mechanical interlock involved. Have you tried stopping the unit using the stop button with the taped start button. best to know what it will actually do.
Basic NVR function can be achieved with:- A mains relay/contactor. A normally open momentary (start) switch and a normally closed momentary (stop) switch.

Back