Jet Bobbin Sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
For years I've used drum sander in a drill press, and the Carroll ones are very good. Well-made and, best of all, you can use ordinary abrasive paper. However, they do not oscillate, and this makes a big difference. I saw the Jet on offer in my local toolshop and decided to buy.
It's great. Good capacity, pretty easy drum change. Quiet, if not the smoothest machine, it rumbles a bit. Good switch, decent dust-extraction. Table size is adequate for most jobs but anything long needs extra support. The table is easily adjusted for square, and being cast iron, is nice and easy to work on.
It's quite heavy, a struggle to move about on one's own. It needs a base. It's too small to stand on the floor and too tall to be used on a bench.
I'm glad I bought it. It would be better if, like the Carrolls, you could use ordinary sandpaper rather than having to buy the drums. I would like to see a bigger drum available, say 80mm, for long slow curves such as chair backs. But on the whole, it is very good.

Hi Steve

Thanks for that.
It is a tool that seems to be overlooked, and as I'm toying with the need for buying one, I'm pleased to read a nice positive review for it.

All the best

John

Steve,

I bought one recently to help with my chair project. I generally agree with your comments, especially the point about the size being neither one thing nor another. I have mine on a lowish roll around stand that seems about the right height and I guess it will live there because as you say it is a bit heavy to keep picking it up and tucking it away somewhere. The larger floor standing model does take bigger bobbins BTW.

I actually prefer the kind of bobbin loadings it is designed for rather than the Carrol type as it is bit smoother to use them than the Carrol sort with their ""split" where the paper is fixed. I have found that the loadings seem to last a good long while, especially if I use the coarser ones for most of the work, slipping on a fine one for finishing off only.

The dust collection works suprisingly well once you have found a way to connect the outlet on the machine with your collector. I bought mine at Axminster in Faversham and they had no suitable adapter so I have a bit of a lash-up involving that universal connector - duct tape.

On the subject of dust collection, I can recommend the rubber adaptors that Axminster sell. Basically a length of over-large, flexible rubber tubing that you fit over the hose and dust extractor port - then have at it with a hot air gun (or hair dryer) - causing the rubber to contract making for a perfect fit.

I use this on my thicknesser and it works well, especially if (like me) you have to move your extractor around from tool to tool....

Cheers,
Martin.

Chris
I have the Jet bobbin too and I have an adaptor for the dust extraction, but I may have a problem remembering the supplier as I have it lying around the workshop.
I'll have a look tomorrow - I have a feeling I have a spare, if you want it.

Hi Chris
Very sorry - but there are no clues as to where this came from (apart from Taiwan!). I have 3 similar adaptors and I have no idea where they came from. I don't remember buying them, so I suppose they must have come with various machines over the years.
The spare I was thinking of is too small (well actually it's the same size as the Jet outlet, so it doesn't fit on the inside either). Perhaps something from Camvac may be suitable (click on Accessories)? Otherwise let me know if you think you you would be better off with my same-size adaptor.

Steve, good review.

Hi All,

I also have the Jet bobin sander but mine came with a 100mm adaptor whichs connects to my dust extractor, so i cannot understand why yours did not come with this, or did it?
I was very surprised that the dust extraction works so well on this machine as in the past i have found this to be a problem on other sanders.

One tip, don't bother buying the gizmo's that companies such as Axminster sell to clean your sandpaper. Just get an ordinary plastic shopping bag from SWMBO, screw it up into a ball and lightly rub it up and down the drum while it is oscillating, this will get rid of the saw dust and hence the sandpaper is as good as new. What do you think?

Regards

Mike

Aragorn, Mike,

I actually have the Axminster badged version which has a connector with a 2 inch (51mm) OD and an ID of 45mm - also, Just to be difficult, I want to have a non-permanent connection to my shop vac rather than my DC, so the shrink fit type of connection is not an option.

I am sure I will find a suitable one eventually - it's just that the duct tape has worked fine so I have not been looking very hard and as with all temporary lash-ups, they seem to be the only permanent things!

Chris,

I use the shrink fit connection on my thicknesser and take the vacuum hose on/off regularly using this connection - doesn't give me any problem at all (it's not so tight that you can't get the thing on/off easily - at least not in my case).

Martin.

I'm glad these seem to be in everyones good books. I was about to place an order this week.

I was wondering if someone could do me a favour and let me know the footprint size and the table height.

As I want to place mine on a rolling trolley, if I had that information up front I could knock something up ready for when it arrived.

Many thanks

Jeff

Hi Mdotflorida,

The table is 370mm (14"1/2 inches) square, 455mm (18"inches) high, and the base is 300mm (12" inches) square.

I hope that this helps. Let us know how you get on with it.

Regards

Mike.C

Many thanks Mike. Just what I needed.

It is going on order tommorow along with the belt / disc sander and thicknesser.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

You will not regret getting the bobin sander it is an excellent bit of kit.

Good luck with all your new goodies.

Regards

Mike.C

Back