Jet bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

South

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys
I'm in need for some advice or suggestions please. I took some advice from other members and required some machinery as a job lot, was well pleased. Amongst these was a band saw, which I know very little about. I have used one before but very limited use. So whist waiting for and electrican for 16amp plug for
My table saw and thicknesser I find myself tinkering with my used jet bandsaw. My dilemma is this, on the fence there is a Locking handle that pushes a plate with a pad on to lock the fence in position, now the pad is missing so the fence doesn't lock down. I phone Axminster and they kindly sent me a parts list I identified the part and asked the operator the cost, well this little pad is £3 with a further £5 delivery but the kicker is will take a month to arrive maybe more, darn it .. I was wondering however if the is something I can use as an alternative such as perspex nylon etc, but find problems with each and also where to purchase alternative. Any suggestions for alternatives would be greatly received.
Many thanks
South

You need a nylon or high density polythene type of plastic not an acrylic like perspex which will shatter under compression.

Look around at household items that could be sacrificed for a solution. Maybe cut up a plastic fish slice or other cookware designed for use with non stick pans. If you only need thin pieces, how about a few layers cut from a plastic milk bottle?
Bond with a flexible adhesive if necessary although none will stick terribly well to these sorts of plastics.

Solutions will be under your nose once you start looking.

Bob

Back