Jet Air Filter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haldane

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody

Just spent my christmas money on new Jet Air Filter from Axminster.
Have taken some pictures for first time, so doing this post to see if I can download them OK and do a small review at same time.

Workshop031.jpg

Almost brought a new Clifton Plane but my Heath and safety head got the better of me.
When I was looking at buying this filter I was not to sure what to expect in the box, a couple of reviews on the axminster site wrote about a remote control and built in timer to switch it off, but none of this was mentioned in the product description!
As the alternative I was looking at was one of the Microclene units none of which have remotes or timers or moved the same volume of air for the same price, so i went with the Jet unit thinking if they were included it would be a bonus.
Was very pleased when opened the box.

Workshop032.jpg

Workshop033.jpg

Workshop035.jpg

Workshop036.jpg

The unit is very easy to set up two clips hold the filters in place take them out of plastic wrapping and reinstall (arrows on the edge ensure you put them back in facing correct way)

Workshop038.jpg

New I was going to suspend the unit from ceiling but the fixing kit sold seperatley seemed expensive at £25, so used some 6mm bolts ground a flat on each end and drilled a hole brought some chain and some sky hooks from B&Q for £5.00 which has worked OK

Workshop039.jpg

Workshop040.jpg

Just before I started writing this I used the air line to disturb all the dust in the shed switched the filter to full and ran, will let you know later how it worked!

The only problem/issue I have is the instructions did not give much advice on best place to locate unit for it to work best,anybody got any ideas or suggestions

Also not sure if the picture size is to big for this post if somebody could let me know

Thanks
Dave

The only problem/issue I have is the instructions did not give much advice on best place to locate unit for it to work best,anybody got any ideas or suggestions

This is an excellent piece of equipment. I have found it very effective in quickly removing airborne dust in just a few minutes. I use it also when I have the heater on as it distributes the heat throughout the workshop. My advice on mounting is so that the airflow pulls the dust up and away from you if possible. Looking at your picture, I think you should turn the unit through 90 deg left or right as the dust from the lathe will be drawn up across you when working the lathe as it is.

You also have some additional control over the general circulation path by adjusting the angle of the outlet vanes.

cheers,

Ike

Thanks for the tip re hanging, I will definately put that on my to do list.

The air filter works I am always having to take the filter outside and give the local countryside a bit of my dust.

Dave , nice set up you have :p

When you fitted the filter did you think about the lighting ?

Looks like the jet is blocking the light from both twin strip lights

I have the same Jet filter and would suggest you put it in the top of the eves

After all it is to collect airborne dust so should work any where :lol:

Hi Dave I have the AFS-2000 or the Big Brother as Axminster used to call it, and I would recommend one type of air filter or another in any workshop.

As for placement, Jet/Axminster recommend that in a perfect world it should be at least 7 foot above the ground and hung near a wall (about halfway down the workshop and away from a corner) so that it can create a continuous whirlpool effect, where dirty air is sucked in one side and clean air expelled through the other. To work at its best it should clean all the air in your workshop at least 6 times an hour.
If for one reason or another you cannot put it halfway down your workshop then you maybe alright and still create the same whirlpool effect if you do as Ike says and turn it by 90 degrees.

I would say to buy yourself a washable outer filter, but it appears that Jet/Axminster have stopped selling them, yet Jet still sell them in the US. It must have something to do with these new Euro regs :roll: ](*,)

One thing that I did notice while browsing the Jet cataloge below (page 95) was the big warning notice stating that if these dust collection devices were not grounded properly it could cause a fire. I know that this has been discussed on here before in relation to plastic dust or drainage pipes in a dust collection installation, and that there are members who agree and disagree, but I have never knew that one of these air filters had to be grounded. Personally I think that they just want to sell you the kit :roll: What do others think, do they have to be grounded?

http://www.waltermeier.com/user_content ... en_low.pdf

Cheers

Mike

Hi

Thanks for the replys and advice
Earlier in the year when i built the shed I put some high level sockets above where I thought the Lathe was going in expectation of some sort of filter, But as sods law always applys in these situation the filter was bigger than expected and the power lead shorter!
I have now taken a spur of the socket and moved the filter into the eves this gives just over 8 foot clearance and puts it about a third of the way along the shed. This does not now block any light and will hopefully give good air circulation.

002.jpg

Thanks
Dave

Hello Devonwoody

The shed is approx 6x4m the walls 2.4m with the apex
it is about 66m3 with the filter running flat out i think
it should filter all the air about 9 / 10 times an hour.
I did take quite a few pics whilst building the shed now
i've discovered how to post them I will run a thread in
projects when i get chance

Dave

I reckon that looks perfect where it is. :wink:

Tip: I use the vacuum cleaner on the outer filter when it looks a bit claggy.

Haldane, just the sort of shed size I would like to build if I was only younger.

I use a concrete block double garage that is uncomfortable four months of the year.

Mike.C":3rrua1o8 said:
Hi Dave I have had the AFS-2000 or the Big Brother as Axminster used to call it, and I would recommend one type of air filter or another in any workshop.

As for placement, Jet/Axminster recommend that in a perfect world it should be at least 7 foot above the ground and hung near a wall (about halfway down the workshop and away from a corner) so that it can create a continuous whirlpool effect, where dirty air is sucked in one side and clean air expelled through the other. To work at its best it should clean all the air in your workshop at least 6 times an hour.
If for one reason or another you cannot put it halfway down your workshop then you maybe alright and still create the same whirlpool effect if you do as Ike says and turn it by 90 degrees.

I would say to buy yourself a washable outer filter, but it appears that Jet/Axminster have stopped selling them, yet Jet still sell them in the US. It must have something to do with these new Euro regs :roll: ](*,)

One thing that I did notice while browsing the Jet cataloge below (page 95) was the big warning notice stating that if these dust collection devices were not grounded properly it could cause a fire. I know that this has been discussed on here before in relation to plastic dust or drainage pipes in a dust collection installation, and that there are members who agree and disagree, but I have never knew that one of these air filters had to be grounded. Personally I think that they just want to sell you the kit :roll: What do others think, do they have to be grounded?

Cheers

Mike

Perfect timing for the location instructions. Thanks Mike, I hung mine up today.

As far as the earthing kit goes, the sticker on the JET (AFS 500) model tells you not to connect it to any ducting. I think the earthing kit really belongs with ducted machines.

The body of the filter is earthed via the mains plug.

Deejay":10a40abp said:
Mike.C":10a40abp said:
Hi Dave I have had the AFS-2000 or the Big Brother as Axminster used to call it, and I would recommend one type of air filter or another in any workshop.

Cheers

Mike

Perfect timing for the location instructions. Thanks Mike, I hung mine up today.

As far as the earthing kit goes, the sticker on the JET (AFS 500) model tells you not to connect it to any ducting. I think the earthing kit really belongs with ducted machines.

The body of the filter is earthed via the mains plug.

Hi Deejay,

Glad I could help.

As for grounding, thanks for the info. I did think that they could be refereing to the ducting, but I thought I'd better check just in case :roll:

After you have used it for a while let us know what you think. I certainly wouldn't be without mine.

Cheers

Mike

Interesting thread. Have been thinking for a while that I ought to supplement my rather noisy microclene unit with something extra and closer to the lathe.

I use the twin motor record extractor at the lathe when actually sanding and it takes away most of the dust, but it's too noisy to have on all the time when turning. Even the microclene is quite noisy and it gets the dust from general turning eventually, but I quite like the idea of having the Jet stood quite close in front of the lathe as well. Can't really do that with the microclene as it blows the cleaned air out of the top edge of the unit 360' around so has to be hung at ceiling height really.

I have a powercap thing but don't use it as often as I should because I find it a bit claustrophobic so only use it if turning spalted timber or iroko or particularly noxious stuff like that.

Just waiting to see if Axi' have a New Year sale to tip me into buying the Jet at last !

Cheers, Paul :D

I thought the same! though the reviews on the axminster site mentioned getting one the official description does not!
Also Mike C earlier in the thread posted a link to the Jet catalouge which
shows the unit without one
I just looked at it as unexpected bonus :D

Haldane":3ssim4sf said:
I thought the same! though the reviews on the axminster site mentioned getting one the official description does not!
Also Mike C earlier in the thread posted a link to the Jet catalouge which
shows the unit without one
I just looked at it as unexpected bonus :D

It actually states in the catalouge that unlike the 1000B it does not come with a remote control, and the Axminster website makes no mention of it until you look at the second of 2 reviews.

Axminster also states that you should leave it running for a few minutes after you switch your machines off or to buy a timer so that you can leave it running after you leave the workshop. But again in the Axminster review it states that like the more expensive models it has a 2, 4 and 8 hour timer built into the machine.

Obviously Jet have not updated their agents as to what is in the box :roll:

Cheers

Mike

I bought this last month when it went on sale, I saw it for the first time at "Trim The Kings" mansion early December.

If you're thinking of a spend for the New Year, this is a must.

It does come with a remote, I'd just emailed Axminster because it was mising, and I expected it to be on the top, they said it's no longer supplied with the 500 :cry: and then I found it, stuck between the filters :lol:

Although I have a single garage, it's amazing the difference it's made, it clears the air so quickly, that I used it in the hallway when I was sanding down the stairs..........this thing works ! blow the filters out with an air line, and it's back to ull capacity.

And considering it can only make your working enviroment better, now's the time to get one whilst their still on sale :wink:

I've got one of these on "The List". Jed - where did you get yours from? Grahams in Chester?

Cheers

Karl

Latest posts

Back