Jet afs 500 fault.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob.

Reaction score
Hi l know this fault has been discussed before but l have just bought a second hand jet air filter from a very nice guy who has given up his wood work shop and moved. I picked up the filter from him but at the moment he cannot find the remote which is hiding in one of his many removal boxes, but when he finds it he will let me know. So l got the filter home and as there are buttons on the control panel l plugged it in and without touching it, it starting making a rumbling noise and the fan tried to turn slowly. Well l looked it up on the internet and it seems a lot of people had the same problem. On a thread on this site it discusses the problem and how to remedy it. Now l can work ok with printed circuit boards and can solder ok and so l replaced the large square capacitor and tried again, same thing on plug in to the mains but now the speed control button works and the LEDs light up corresponding to the speed selected. No other LEDs light up ,the on/off and the timer ones. So turning the filter on by the on/off button just makes the speed section work and when turned off by the unit button it continues to tumble and fan is still trying to turn. I then replaced the small round capacitor 1000 m/f 10v as advised on another thread but still no change. I am no electronics expert and don't understand how the pc board works but l can de-solder and replace components ok, so if anyone can give me some help it would be appreciated. The small round capacitor l replaced last is shown on different threads as having different ratings and voltages for the same board which is confusing, could this be the problem?.
Regards bob.

Hi Bob, I have the slightly larger one and again same problem, I thought I could fix it but gave up and took it to a local guy who charged me 20 quid to fix it and obviously I was delighted, he said it wasn’t worth the messing about and he replaced all the capacitors. I’m sorry that’s probably not a lot of help. Just in case you are wondering yes you’re right you can run it perfectly well without the remote. Ian

Hi Bob, I have the slightly larger one and again same problem, I thought I could fix it but gave up and took it to a local guy who charged me 20 quid to fix it and obviously I was delighted, he said it wasn’t worth the messing about and he replaced all the capacitors. I’m sorry that’s probably not a lot of help. Just in case you are wondering yes you’re right you can run it perfectly well without the remote. Ian
Hi ian thanks for reply, it's just a pain that when l just plug it in without even turning it on it starts to hum and the fan starts to turn very slowly. Luckily you managed to find someone who knows the workings of the pc board and could fix it, may have to see if theres anyone in my area with similar knowledge, was it someone you new or did you search for a particular electronics engineer.

Regards bob.

It was a local company that supply electric and electronic parts and components and I went there to try and get the right capacitor so that I could repair it myself and when that didn’t work I went back as the guy had said he would do it for me as a private individual if I had problems. Years ago there were loads of repair type places around but not anymore and we are poorer for it.

It was a local company that supply electric and electronic parts and components and I went there to try and get the right capacitor so that I could repair it myself and when that didn’t work I went back as the guy had said he would do it for me as a private individual if I had problems. Years ago there were loads of repair type places around but not anymore and we are poorer for it.
Thanks for reply there are a couple of small electronic companies in norwich who do TV and radio repairs so will call them on Monday fingers crossed. Update you when l find out more.

Regards bob.

I've had a couple of new boards in mine in its lifetime. Axminister sells them, can't remember how much. The new ones are supposed to be upgraded!

They also sell the remote.

I tried fixing mine but failed miserably.

Good luck

hi ,yes they seem to have issues with the pc boards, this one l bought is a 2014 model and looks like its been hardly used, rang Axminister who said they are no longer agents for Jet, finished with them about a year ago and a replacement board then was near on £100 pounds. New company who is the agent are Baileigh Industrial, Rugby tried ringing saturday morning but went to answer service ,asked me to leave my name and contact and someone would get right back to me, waited till the afternoon and tried ringing again to be told by a recorded message they all go home at 1 oclock, so see what they come up with when they get in on Monday. Perhaps l may put up with just plugging it in then turning the speed up from the remote when the guy l bought it off finds it, then just unplugging it when l have finished. Thanks for the response so far, have a good weekend.

regards bob.

Back