Jet 16-32 Drum sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Jet 16-32 Drum sander and am mostly pleased with it, it is a well-built machine, the only letdown is the dreadful clips that hold the sandpaper rolls, they are a pain in the buttocks, it would be much better to have the sandpaper fixed with some sort of screw, that when tightened would stretch the sandpaper I also had a look at the Axminster drum sander, and the reviews for that are worse regarding the same clips problem
before I bought this I built my own using a metal drum I managed to get on eBay, this worked great but had no power feed table, and the drum had no spring clips so the sandpaper had to be hook and loop, with self-adhesive velcro attached to the drum, I never had any problem with this setup, so I am thinking of doing the same on the Jet, just go over the slots where the clips are, anyone got any views on this or some other ideas

No reason you could not try a reversible trial run and if no good you have lost nothing but a little time:)

Belts direct on drum give a more even finish, Velcro on drum sander can sometimes leave high spots on resinous woods, as the Velcro will allow deflection over the hard a soft grain areas, more so on soft woods like pine etc.

Belts direct on drum give a more even finish, Velcro on drum sander can sometimes leave high spots on resinous woods, as the Velcro will allow deflection over the hard a soft grain areas, more so on soft woods like pine etc.
@murphy is proposing to use velcro only at the ends of the cylinder so he should be OK by avoiding these areas.
I once had a belt rip at the slot entry. As a temporary measure I used double sided tape to hold it on. It lasted well until the belt was exhausted. The only trouble was cleaning off the gue afterwards.
Brian

Sachakins, I did not notice any difference when I used velcro before, but I suppose it makes sense, being softer, but as Mark said it's worth a try, and Yojevol I remember trying to get the velcro off the drum I had before to sell it again on eBay, it was an absolute nightmare

@murphy is proposing to use velcro only at the ends of the cylinder so he should be OK by avoiding these areas.
I once had a belt rip at the slot entry. As a temporary measure I used double sided tape to hold it on. It lasted well until the belt was exhausted. The only trouble was cleaning off the gue afterwards.
Brian
Oh, OK then it won't be a problem, òther than a slight step at each end which should be easily avoided.

If just securing at the ends, I think you may encounter a problem with the material stretching in use: you either need a ‘lose wrap’ with spring tension at the ends so that the stretch is taken up by the springs, or the entire drum wrapped in Velcro so that and stretch is held locally and does not accumulate to build up enough to give a crease.

Last edited:
arn't there spray easy/low tack / remove adhesives.......?
not sure what I will use when I buld mine but did think of expanding wedges at the ends.....
must look up the Jet system used....

If just securing at the ends, I think you may encounter a problem with the material stretching in use: you either need a ‘loose wrap’ with spring tension at the ends so that the stretch is taken up by the springs, or the entire drum wrapped in Velcro so that and stretch is held locally and does not accumulate to build up enough to give a crease.
Yes,
Double sided industrial tape is what you want and a big tin of acetone when you replace the belt. this stuff

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/1731435O/3m-acrylic-adhesive-200mp-brochure-eu.pdf
and for hard to stick materials
https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/1731434O/3m-acrylic-adhesive-300mp-brochure-eu.pdf

I have decided to wrap the entire drum, because of the ridges at both ends, this is what I had before and it did work

You can use electrical tape to wrap one end, but do both and you lose the ability to take up slack that’s built in.
I’d not recommend fixing all over, tried it once and it had a tendency to ruck up

The Tiddles, I did not notice any slack when I had the velcro before, as it is held locally it does not tend to stretch, well not that I could see or notice, and I did have electrical tape at both ends? I did stretch it as I put it on as much as I could

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back