Jet 16-32 Drum Sander Belt Tracking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke66

Established Member
Reaction score
Having fitted a new conveyor belt to the Jet 16-32 drum sander (the older model) it's proving very irksome, if not a trifling difficult to set up the tracking. The belt keeps drifting towards the rise/fall mechanism so that every five or six minutes I have to stop, slacken it off and move it across on to the open end again.
I've been following the instructions in the 'book of words' to adjust the tracking, but it's very temperamental :evil:
Any hints, suggestions on how to set up the belt and is an investment in the rubber belt (about £75) a better option? - Rob

Is the new belt perfectly symmetrical, don't know the machine or the belt configuration but can you swap ends and reverse the belts direction, does it then move to the other side?

I once had an instance of a large (wide) linisher belt that was a couple of mm out across the join making one edge longer than the other that caused similar problems.

I have an old Performax 22-44 drum sander, the grand daddy to all the small open ended drum sanders. The belt on it was always a pain to keep tracking properly. I recently had the belt off to fix some bent parts, it got tipped over in the move. I decided to try and fix the tracking problem by wrapping a strip of aluminium foil tape in the centre of the idle roller along with half way between the ends and the middle. Three locations. The tape was thick so I used 2 wraps in the middle and 1 wrap on the other two places. In effect I put a crown in the roller. Now the belt tracks when tensioned and I don't have to watch it work it's way off as I'm sanding. If the Jet doesn't have a crown in the non-driving roller you could try doing the same.

Pete

CHJ":1ut53172 said:
Is the new belt perfectly symmetrical, don't know the machine or the belt configuration but can you swap ends and reverse the belts direction, does it then move to the other side?

I once had an instance of a large (wide) linisher belt that was a couple of mm out across the join making one edge longer than the other that caused similar problems.
I don't think so Chas as the belt is only designed to fit one way to get it moving in the right direction. There are big arrows on the underside showing the direction of rotation

Inspector":1ut53172 said:
I have an old Performax 22-44 drum sander, the grand daddy to all the small open ended drum sanders. The belt on it was always a pain to keep tracking properly. I recently had the belt off to fix some bent parts, it got tipped over in the move. I decided to try and fix the tracking problem by wrapping a strip of aluminium foil tape in the centre of the idle roller along with half way between the ends and the middle. Three locations. The tape was thick so I used 2 wraps in the middle and 1 wrap on the other two places. In effect I put a crown in the roller. Now the belt tracks when tensioned and I don't have to watch it work it's way off as I'm sanding. If the Jet doesn't have a crown in the non-driving roller you could try doing the same.

Pete
Thanks Pete, that's a good tip which I'll try on the non-driving roller (the one with the tensioning screws). How wide was the aluminium tape please? - Rob

I used what I had, one inch. Two inch would probably have been better. Depending how difficult a belt change is you could experiment with masking tape before buying the more expensive aluminium tape.

Pete

I had a Senior Sander for a number of years, you need to really tighten up / stretch the belts when new setting the two tensioners on either side. They take ages to settle down especially if it’s taken a ‘set’ whilst in the packet.

Inspector":3bpbt1ol said:
I used what I had, one inch. Two inch would probably have been better. Depending how difficult a belt change is you could experiment with masking tape before buying the more expensive aluminium tape.

Pete
Thanks Pete, I'll see if I can get hold of some 50mm tape and give it a go but the belt isn't difficult to slide off the rollers once it's loose - Rob

Among other uses it is used for sealing ductwork. A borg store might have some or a heating and cooling outfit might sell to you or one of their people may give you a partial roll because you don't need a lot. Mine was thicker than some I've seen so you might want to go an extra wrap. I wrapped so the end was trailing as it rotated but it may not make any difference.

Pete

Think the arrows on the back of belts are a legacy thing from when belts use to be lapped. With the tape they use now belts are butted and without looking at my 16 - 32 I cant think the belts would be lapped as it would push the timber into the drum as the lap went through

Back