JCB tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first router was a JCB, not that one an earlier model.

It worked well but didn't last me long until it literally fell apart in use. I wouldn't have another.

I have had a few JCB tools and still have 4. I still have the sheet sander which i very very rarely use but it does the job, nothing special. I have a JCB rotatory stop drill which just will not die. I mainly use it for chiseling masonry. There circular saw, ok saw, does the job and the laser is good but i never use it now i have a maki one. I have the 24l Compresser. Served me well and still in use if not on its last legs now.

Belt sander it just broke in the end, it wouldn't track the belt at all and it kept falling off within seconds of powering it up. Parm sander was a nice tool to use but that literally fell apart while in use. 24v Combie, My Bosch 14.4 is just as powerful, it stopped working, just died while i needed it he most in france. 24v SDS had some nice power but 6 holes and it needed charging, couldn't get decent batteries for them. There sliding cross pull was good as mitre saw once tuned, however if you used the slide it would cut off square, slightly rounded. The laser was impossible to get right and the depth stop was rubbish. Brad nailer was good until it just packed up working.

All in all i wouldn't give them the time of day now. When i had a few of there tools i noticed a lot was other lower brand cheap tools just re-branded.

I wouldn't bother with cheaper power tools now, shane found a good deal on a Hitachi router from screwfix if you don't have the budget for the top end.

The brand did for a long time belong to the Alba Bush company.(Rights to use the brand for power tools, bought from JCB)
The brand was sold when the group was sold off a few years ago but the product is still almost certainly sourced from some of the same Chinese factories used by Alba Bush.
The factories were actually quite good and the product in the main was OK so the chances are this tool will be as good as any coming out of China.
regards beejay

I had a JCB garden shredder which was total pants. I was very surprised they would sell their brand in that way - why spend millions to build a reputation for heavy plant / total reliability and then sell the same branding to inferior consumer products for a couple of quid. Makes no sense to me!!!

Anyway, rant over, based on my experience, if you have other options I would take them!

Simon

For the same money, try the Erbauer 2100 watt router from Screwfix. It'a a beast, but I've cut a lot of worktops with it and, touchwood, it's running fine. Seems better equpped than the JCB too.

I bought a set of the JCB screwdrivers. Every one sheard the end. They're made from chocolate.

just my 2p worth.

If you need to stick to budget gear I would recommend Ryobi (if the hitachi still isn't in stock), personally I find them better quality and more reliable than erbauer, go more budget than that and you are just gonna get useless rubbish that will hardly complete its first job.

Avoid JCB, you'd be better getting a decent second hand Dewalt or Elu.

Hello Ben.
I bought a JCB router and the hammer drill a few years ago,and they have both been good to use.The router i haven't used a lot of but the drill i have and it is still going strong.
I used to have the router in my table and it worked well with the soft start and seemed to have plenty of power.
This was replaced and i use it hand held now and is comfy to use.

SVB":38j8vx56 said:
I was very surprised they would sell their brand in that way - why spend millions to build a reputation for heavy plant / total reliability and then sell the same branding to inferior consumer products for a couple of quid.

Simon

Yes, but have they sold the name, anyone know for sure?
mack

Back