Jaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srs

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, Chaps

I'm in the process of building myself a new work bench, nothing to fancy just something big, strong and solid (bit like myself). I had earmarked a bit of beech for the vice jaws but due to a slight miscalculation.... ok the I was dreaming that I had a bit of beech, I'm left with a couple of options

1. Wait till the second week of March when I've got to buy some oak for some book shelves and pick up a bit of beech then

OR

2. I have enough oak or ask to make the jaws out of, is there any reason why I should not use these? is beech just tradition????

If I'm going to use the oak or ash which would be the best option?

Cheers

Simon

Almost any reasonably hard wood would be OK. I have some mahogany-type wood in mine which was reclaimed from some shelving. Close grain rather than open grain wood is preferable but it's not that critical.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I've been told you also need to have the grain running vertically for optimum grip and strength. Otherwise, you only risk damaging the fibres if the grain runs horizontally and won't get as good a grip.

OPJ":2txpyfat said:
I've been told you also need to have the grain running vertically for optimum grip and strength. Otherwise, you only risk damaging the fibres if the grain runs horizontally and won't get as good a grip.

Most old texts seem to recommend having the grain vertical but I've always done mine horizontal and most benches I've seen have the grain horizontal. If nothing else, it makes it much easier to plane it up, level with the bench top after fitting.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Back