japanese toolbox, do I need a bevel on the wedge?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheUnicorn

Established Member
Reaction score
I was planning a variation on a japanese toolbox, the various designs I've seen online are roughly similar in terms of the lid, except that some have a slight bevel on the locking wedge, and others leave it out. Is it nessacery and what angle is best? thank you

in case people don't know what I'm talking about, this image shows the principle, the piece sticking out (the wedge) has a slight taper, so when it is pushed home it locks the lid

1608546197417.png

some variations have a carry handle on the lid, I'm thinking that any beveling of the wedge (and other pieces on the lid) is more important if there is a handle mounted

Both vertical sides of the edge are at 80deg on mine.

If you don't have it the wedge could just lift out?

Both vertical sides of the edge are at 80deg on mine.

If you don't have it the wedge could just lift out?
having never made one, I wasn't sure whether the horizontal pressure was enough for a firm lid, or whether it also needed the vertical pressure of the bevel(s)

Can I ask does your lid have a carry handle? Also, do you wax or in any way lubricate the wedge, or is that just over egging the pudding?

Can I ask does your lid have a carry handle? Also, do you wax or in any way lubricate the wedge, or is that just over egging the pudding?

The handles on mine are like the photo you posted - at each end. The wedge was finished, but nothing additional, it's just fine as is.

Neat design. Yes to bevels both ends and the wedge, I'd say. Then lid won't accidentally pop off.
If you make the thin end of the wedge a little longer you could add a hole and a padlock

Neat design. Yes to bevels both ends and the wedge, I'd say. Then lid won't accidentally pop off.
If you make the thin end of the wedge a little longer you could add a hole and a padlock
that's a nice idea about the padlock, not seen that before, luckily I've not had to lock up any toolboxes before, but nice to have the option

The lid fits in under the top batons and wedge locks it in place to stop lid moving about.

I agree I would say yes to a bevel, it doesn’t really matter too much about the angle, whatever seems appropriate to you. With regard to the extending the piece and putting a padlock through it, all they need to do is open the box and get the tenon saw out and cut that bit off,( I think there might be an obvious fault with that argument ) haha

Back