Japanese style box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyturner

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all I made this box with Ash and Black Ebony and a sprayed Ebonized band the bowl is 8" x 4" and the whole thing stands 6" tall I would have preferred to have used Maple or Sycamore but all I had was Ash

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 772
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 772
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 772
I for one am glad you had'nt got anything else, you have made a beautiful piece out of what you had. =D>
IMO the whole piece has a great look to it. I am not a lover of colouring wood but seem to have got it just right.
The finish on the outside looks excellent too ,Well made.

Hello WT

My 2p worth

My opinion ( But who am I ) is that the black band is too wide and overwhelming , maybe refine it a bit on the next one

Love the finial , it look square section ? maybe better if it was radiused on the edges

Overall nice shape and looks well finished , you can develop this further

Thanks for showing us :mrgreen:

I echo both of the previous comments

I think the band could be brought back into proportion (to the finial) with one, or better, two coves cut into the lighter Ash.

Love the form of the internal hollowing/bowl.

I can't tell if the finial is square form or not, but I wouldn't change it! If square maybe cut the above coves square such that the remaining bands and coves were the same dimensions as the finial form?

Just realised you haven't asked for critique - I hope you don't mind these comments; they are intend to portray that it's good, but I think it could be great - that finial is something else!

Also agree with you that maple would have been good, but you have done a great job with the Ash.

Thank you all comments are most welcome if I make another one I will take all your comments on board after your remarks I'm inclined to agree the black band could do with being thinner but I don't very often make more than one of anything except for pens and bandstand clocks

Back