Japanese stool. Finished with final work in progress shots

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. I confess I was a bit worried how it'd end up looking at one stage, but that's very cool. Certainly different. =D>

Cheers, Alf

That looks great - well done. Like Alf, I had some concerns at the early stages but you've done a fab job.

Is it comfy to sit on?

Cheers

Tim

Neil":37x4sr6b said:
Nice work, Adam - I like the wedged tenons too 8)

Cheers,
Neil

Neil, Noel, no wonder we get them confused - they write the same messages. :roll:

Thanks guys (+ gals) - I meant to bring the rest of the progress shots to work to upload - but forgot.

Adam

Hi Adam

Congratulations - you've made it work beautifully!

Gill

Adam, that's amazing. I realy like the way that the faux pas have been turned into design elements and those wedged tenons look cool.

Andy

Here's those work in progress shots I forgot to post :oops:

I cleaned up the edges using a #7 jointer. They'd been knocked around quite a bit.

medium.jpg

And the same for the ends. I used a LA jack for that.

medium.jpg

WIth everything looking a bit more assembled, I used some test sticks to measure the width between of the rails. I could have measured this, but this was more accurate (I think!).

medium.jpg

I then transferred the measurments onto the rails

medium.jpg

I cut a couple of wedges, and then mounted the whole batch in the woodrat. Its perfect for these unusual cuts. Especially doing the whole batch in one go.

medium.jpg

I'm checking for any mistakes - and the results are pretty good.

medium.jpg

Cutting the other face of the mortice requires it to have a matching angle. I reckon a tenon saw and chisel is the best option. I'm using a marking guage to scribe my lines.

medium.jpg

Making the cuts...

medium.jpg

Next stage is a dry assembly - just to check everything

medium.jpg

I want to round of the edges slightly so am using a router with a round over bit.

medium.jpg

And the same thing for the rails. I'm using router matting which holds everything securely.

medium.jpg

A bit of sanding before assembly makes everything much easier, and stops the glue drips sticking to the wood.

medium.jpg

Final hand sanding

medium.jpg

Everything taped up with masking tape.

medium.jpg

Anyone else have this trouble?

medium.jpg

Everything gets a coat of danish oil

medium.jpg

Need to make the wedges next. Cut approximately on the bandsaw

medium.jpg

You can see how rough they are:

medium.jpg

Then smoothed on a sander ready for use

medium.jpg

Regular PVA

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

Hammering the wedges into position - you can feel them "bite" and thats when I stop knocking them in!

medium.jpg

Clamps on

medium.jpg

Trimming then planing the ends.

medium.jpg

More coats of oil.

medium.jpg

Making the feet

medium.jpg

Drilling the holes. I've left some slack to cope with the expansion of the wood against the long grain of the feet

medium.jpg

End grain shavings with a spokeshave - lovely!

medium.jpg

Trimming them up a bit...

medium.jpg

Smoothing them relative to the ash sides.

medium.jpg

Touch more sanding...

medium.jpg

And fini!

medium.jpg

Adam,

Thanks for taking the time to shoot all of these pictures, I love seeing how things come together.
You have made a very nice stool.
Do you mark your work? I think you should, your grand children can then proudly show their grand children the family pieces, complete with your mark. I bought a branding iron with my initials on and try to remember to mark the back/bottom of things, before putting the finish on.

Excellant WIP pics Adam - you don't use glue sparingly do you? :lol: And as for the mole grips you can be glad that was not a child proof top.

Andy

DaveL":3fcjenfe said:
Do you mark your work? I think you should, your grand children can then proudly show their grand children the family pieces, complete with your mark.

Yes, for the first time. Normally I use a marker pen :oops:

51907948.jpg

Adam

Back