Japanese stool. Finished with final work in progress shots

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pete W":2zrn27mc said:
Adam: just curious, but are you leaving all those sharp edges and corners on the seat? :shock: :lol:

No, I plan to round them off.

Gill":2zrn27mc said:
Like Pete, I think a bit of walnut detail on the other side of the seat would give it more balance.

Err, cough, due to a little breakout with the morticer, I think I may have just required myself to have a bit more walnut on the top. I may go for circles though, just to make it look even more odd. :wink:

Adam

PS: Note to self... When using a morticer on a curved unit, remember their is no support under the chisel and it'll break out and create large splits in the upper surface. :oops: . Ahh well, that'll teach me not to think about what I'm doing properly.

Adam":1uvu623w said:
Err, cough, due to a little breakout with the morticer, I think I may have just required myself to have a bit more walnut on the top. I may go for circles though, just to make it look even more odd. :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well done, Adam! I'm sure your stool will be all the better for it.

Gill

Well, back to it!

First up trim off the excess

49280528.jpg

Then get the smoother working..

49280531.jpg

Trimming some of the excess away

49280548.jpg

A first view of what it might look like..

49280550.jpg

Just look at the dust on that saw - shocking.

49280553.jpg

Next up trimming the shoulders.... (PS recognise the saw ALF?)

49280552.jpg

Cutting a curve using the crappy bandsaw.

49280556.jpg

Both sides complete.

49280559.jpg

Back out with the spokeshaves.

49280560.jpg

Chiselling up the edges.

49280561.jpg

Next up morticing the seat.

49280563.jpg

First cuts..

49280564.jpg

pipper - I've gone right through. Oh well :roll:

49280565.jpg

Time to give up for the day!

Adam

Never mind, Adam - it's still coming on a treat. And I'm confident you must have some more mahogany lurking around somewhere to 'enhance' the piece ;) :) .

Gill

Onwards...

Cleaning out the mortices....

49280566.jpg

And trimming the tenons to size.

49280567.jpg

And putting a chamfer on the tenon.

49280569.jpg

First check it goes together! Yippee!

49280570.jpg

And from the side!

49280571.jpg

I've decided against the helix cross braces - its just too difficult on this as it requires so many compound angles.

Instead I've decided to go with horizontal braces.

Now I hate jigs,:twisted: as they take up loads of time, effort and materials, and the time spent making them could be spent building a project, or learning to do the task by hand. :? Anyway, on this occasion, I've decided to give in and build an angle bracket. :oops: I lashed two pieces of board together with a couple of hinges, and bar to set the angle. Total time, 5 mins. Thats just about acceptable. :p

49280573.jpg

49280574.jpg

Checking I've got the correct angle

49280572.jpg

Back on the morticer.

49280575.jpg

All of 1 side cut

49280576.jpg

Having cut the entire side, I noticed I'd got it back to front, so the angle I'd cut at the bottom, to make sure it sits level, is the wrong way round. Solution is either to make it slightly lower, or to add some more walnut to the base of the "legs", - which I think could look quite nice.

Adam

Hello Adam,

Looks great!
Wouldnt mind having a go at that project myself. And thanks for sharing the pictures of how your progressing.

simon

tim":zbq3aakb said:
Well done Adam - your honesty is inspiring! Cheers Tim

Someone on here, I'm not sure who, said something along the lines of the difference between a beginner and a pro is how they deal with their mistakes. I can kind of understand that, (although someone doing it professionally will have A) made the mistake once before and won't do it again, and B) will plan their work flow.) but I've definately become more confident at what to do after making a mistake. I currently have the following view on mistakes..... :oops:

Mistakes are inevitable for me, as I don't plan my workflow, don't work to a design, and am still inexperienced. However, most people don't notice them anyway, the fun is in the making an item yourself and it's not often you can't do something to partially remedy the situation. So I don't worry about it anymore. Once I've made a mistake though, I don't ever try to remedy it until the following day, when I've had chance to think it through.

Adam

Really coming together nicely Adam. The small mistake will soon be a feature :wink:

Tony":1gnc3yfj said:
Really coming together nicely Adam. The small mistake will soon be a feature :wink:

Hmm, some comforting reassurance. I have to look on the bright side otherwise I'll realise I'm completely incompetant at executing the construction of even the most simple item :roll: :oops: :oops:

Adam :?

Adam
When I was a mere mechanical engineering apprentice serving my time 5 years plus 6 in college. I always remember my spell in the toolroom making moulds out of meanite ( a form of cast iron ) the instructor old Sid Chambers was in his seventies. His advice was always that a good tradesman is able to correct a mistake so that it does not exist or it looks as if it should be there. I think that was sound advice and after 50 years I still remember it. Nice piece of work.
Les

Tsk. It's not a mistake, it's a Design Opportunity. :roll:

And yes, I do recognise the saw. Hope it's okay. Sorry for not commenting before, but I was hoping I'd be seeing it unroll at speed right before my eyes courtesy of broadband - alas, that's deferred until next week now. :( Actually I don't think I'll say anything even now. I'll wait to see how it turns out - bit of a moving target at the moment. :D

Cheers, Alf

Hi Adam,

Any more progress on this? Or are you too busy with your shiny red tractor! :wink:

Cheers

Howard

Some, but not enough to justify taking some photos. I've fixed the top, turned a couple of washers to fit the damage of the mmorticer breaking through glued and planed them, trimmed the tenons slightly as they were binding.

Adam

Mcluma":1f5s36nb said:
He Adam is that a Massa Ferguson tractor your sitting on :?:

Indeed. A 35X, its my uncles.

medium.jpg

Adam

Right skip forward a few evenings (I've started another project) so this got on the back burner.

Anyway, here's a couple of the finished item.

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

Its had a few coats of oil - all it needs now is some beeswax polish and it can be brought back in the house.

Adam

That's looking mighty good Adam. Especially the wedged tennons, very nice.

Noel

Latest posts

Back