Japanese Steel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm new here and just want to start by saying Hello.
On another forum a question was asked about the difference between white and blue steel in Japanese chisels.In trying to answer the question I realized how little I really knew about the subject.
Would someone please tell me the difference in the 2 steels and what their applications would be?Also is one better than the other?I have a set of Miyanaga blue steel chisels.I don't find I have the problems of keeping an edge or of chipped blades that I hear others speak of.Is this because of the experience of the blacksmith or because of the difference between the steels?
Thanks to everyone,
Brent

Hi Brent,

Can't help you with Japanese steel, but from me - Welcome to the Forum :wink: . And keep asking your questions, whatever they be - there is usually somebody, somewhere here who can help.

Cheers,

Trev.

Trev,
Thanks for the welcome.I tried getting the cutters from Stanley, but no luck.They seem to be a hard company to deal with,or maybe just a bad day.They refered me to 2 retailers who both told me the cutters were discontinued.Finally found someone on another forum who had a bunch of them and was willing to sell me a few.
Brent

Gosh yes, sorry Brent; welcome to the forum. Japanese steel differences tend to confuse me horribly, so I must have glazed over there for a moment... :oops: :D

Cheers, Alf

Thanks Alf for the welcome.Just want to say that the Veritas plane reviews you've done are great.Almost makes me feel that I've tried the tool myself before buying.
Have a good one,
Brent

Back