Japanese saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a quickie - I was in Axminster at Faversham recently and one of those Japanese style handsaws took my fancy. It looked ideal for dovetailing. Got it home, had a cut or two and absolutely LOVED it!
I've since bought another three progressively larger saws. They are a pleasure to use with super fine kerfs and a lovely, easy action that seems to 'persuade' the wood rather than fight it. I really can't recommend them highly enough. They're in the Axminster catalogue, and all less than a score each.

I don't know if it's the samething but i have been trying the japanese sort from B&Q also around £20 . I'm not sure weather it's me or the saw but i struggle with the cut to start perhaps because i'm used to a tradional saw . Deffinetly a better cut though

John - I had the same trouble. The trick is not to 'fight' with the wood, just let the saw sort itself out - all you have to do is steer it and remember that it cuts on the pull stroke. The knack is to remember that it's cutting when you pull, which does take some getting used to for us Brits! I think the B&Q range is the 'Shark' saw, which is japanese style, but not the same as the real japanese saws. They have a very light wooden handle bound with amazingly comfortable bamboo strips, and a rigid band partway along the top of the blade which makes a lot of difference to control. persevere though - the cuts are so much more accurate and our style saws now seem clumsy to me.

Back