Japanese Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bloc75

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I love the Japanese level of craft, and decided to invest in a relatively cheap Japanese plane, it's a 40mm one, but out of the box it just doesn't seem to have enough depth to do anything.

Very little information unless you understand Japanese. Anyone ever used one of these and how do I get it setup to be able to use?
IMG_2992.jpg

Little diagram on the lable - hit blade with hammer to increase set, hit plane heel with hammer to reduce set or remove blade. Also hit side of blade to tilt, hit wedge to tighten. Same as any plane with a wedged in blade.
And you pull it instead of pushing.

Ok, well I wasn't sure if that was a hammer, doesn't look like one. :)
So yeah that seemed to have done the trick.

Generally better set with a steel hammer than anything else - I think many now don't do that because they're saving their planes for something that I don't know what it is, but a steel hammer with a convex face (and reasonably smooth) is nice for all of it.

I've been down the rabbit hole with japanese planes, and while I was down there for a while, the sides weren't very slippery when climbing out. This reminds me that I have some japanese planes to sell.

Latest posts

Back