Japanese Mortice Chisel bit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humanfish

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I have bought a 10mm mortice chisel and bit because the ones i have got free with my morticer aren't much cop. The machine is a Delta 14-651, http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=136&p=997 .
I've gone to fit the new chisel and have found that it does not fit the bushing which supports it in the machine. The bit's that came free were all in imperial and this one i have bought is metric, do you think this is why it doesn't fit the bushing.
I might be able to get my dad to make a suitably sized bushing at work to fit around the new bit.
Do you have to have a bushing to go with each chisel you have because the ends all look different sizes to me http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/3/prod ... -22411.htm
are these bushings available to buy, there not in axminster.
sorry im not being particulary clear, i shall have to take some pics

Hi BHT,

I think what your saying is the mounting diameter of the chisel doesn't fit your machine?

There are two sizes of mounting in general use, 13/16" and 3/4", Axminster do an adaptor, here scroll down its at the bottom of the list, code is CBA, but the search will not find it! Does seem alot for just a bush, I don't see why your Dad should not be able to make one for you, I would put a hole in the side so the locking screw bears on the chisel shank directly and is not trying to pinch the bush up on to it.

hi dave
yes that is indeed what i was trying to say, thanks. From the look of it all the japanese mounting ends seem to vary in size, i guess this means you would different bushes to suit.
ill have to see what my dad can do
thanks dave

I dont know why the reviewers in magazines dont mention what bushings come with the machine and whats out there in the uk for upgrading to a quality chisel.

The adapter Dave shown is for steping up your chisel shank from 3/4 to 13/16 bush so no good in your case.

My suggestion is to skim a 1/16 off the Jap chisel so that it fits 3/4 bushing

Cheers

I had the exact samed problem with my Rexon machine. Contact Delta and ask them to send you the correct size bushing - Rexon did so I'm sure they will. (If not contact Rexon ;) - it may be the same bushing ...)

Cheers

Gidon

My suggestion is to skim a 1/16 off the Jap chisel so that it fits 3/4 bushing

I have a Rexon clone machine (Woodcut Trading) which had the 3/4" bushi for Chiwainese chisels. I simply bored it out to 13/16" on a Myford - a 10 minute job at most. Far easier IMO to turn one bush than possibly several chisel shanks (which'll also be much tougher to machine).

cheers,

Ike

Back