Japanese Combination Waterstone from axminster

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience of these?
Japanese Combination Waterstones

Which one would you remommend?

I have some very cheap diamond stones (the ones with holes in) but as they only go up to #350 I think I need something a bit finer.

I don't own any particularly great chiesels or planes, so can't justify a full set of DMTs :(

TIA
J
[/url]

Yup - these were my intro to waterstones: the 250/1000 is a bit coarse for my woodworking purposes - I'd get the 1000/6000.

Upsides: cheap, but perfectly usable intro to waterstone use.

Downsides: if the same as mine, slightly narrower than would be ideal - no big deal, but be aware of it.

I'll second Shady on that. I had the 250/1000 stone first, then later I got the Icebear kit (800 and 6000). I use all as still I find the 250 quicker for removing the occasional nick.

cheers

Ike

I have the 1000/6000 and use them in true David Charlesworth style (got his DVD see)

I was very pleased with it, but I do realise it wears much quicker than my DMT - there's always a down side huh!

DMT + 1000/6000. is what I tend to use. Works great and gives a very good edge nice and quickl

Incidentally, I have used the same 1000/6000. for years and it is still going strong

Are those the ones that start at £117 on axminster?

bit out of my league.

If these are the ones, how do you tell what grit values they are?
it just says course fine extra fine ...

Thanks
J

Dunno, but the Ice Bear kit is £33 and change - not bad value IMHO.

Thanks for all the advice, In the end, I went for the Ice Bear set.

Hopefully it'll arrive tomorrow, along with a few other bits to mee the minimum order value :)

Also, got an Axminster FC4 Frame Clamp: I've made a picture frame, it's just needed a good clamp before glue up.

Thanks again
J

Been following this thread because I'm also going to buy some stones. Considered the Ice Bear kit before I realised that I could buy both king combination stones and a stone holder for marginally less £.

Perhaps I'm missing something here; however, that'd give me 1 x side 250 grit, 2 x sides 1000 grit, 1 x 6000 grit. Seems like a good combination to me?

Matt
I wouldn't bother-I have heard (and seen) bad things about these flattening stones. They are rarely flat and end up making your waterstones worse.
A piece of 120 grit sandpaper on a piece of flat MDF (or a piece of float glass if you can get your hands on a piece) will be perfect for flattening your stones.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

I've now got the Ice Bear kit, it certainly looks very impressive.
I've only used it once to resharpen one of my stanley chisels, but it did end up with a nice mirror finish. Just wish I knew a good way to measure how sharp it actually is. Anyway, it's much better than before.

You'll also need something to keep the 800 stone submerged in water, axminster do a Veritas Stone Pond for keeping stones in, but it's not cheap. I'm using a plastic tub I found in the kitchen ATM.

also, see this thread for more advice on these stones.

HTH

J

Alf":o6c1zgw1 said:
Philly":o6c1zgw1 said:
A piece of 120 grit sandpaper
Or Drywall screen, apparently.

Cheers, Alf
I have bought some (from B+Q) but not yet tried it. Will give it a go soon (now that I don't have to do sanding anymore :wink: )
Cheers
Philly :D

No, you just have to go to a glaziers and buy a small piece (12 x 6 would be good)
Me-I'm a lazy git :roll:
Cheers
Philly :lol:

Latest posts

Back