Jamming lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigG

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a record power dml 24x mk1 (blue one) bought it second hand last year as always wanted to turn pen nd move upwards from there.

Due to ill health never managed to get it it cleaned up and secured to the bench.

Run sweet, but practicing on some spare cut pen blanks, not drilled and on a 2 prong drive centre, not mandrel, when I start to turn very lightly and slowly it slows down and jams, with a hum from motor. Switch of and restart still jammed. Remove the blank and it can with run sweet again, or still hum.

Any have any clues? Or advice where I can look at.

Cheers

Gordon

Is that one with adjustable taper bearings and an oil reservoir? If so, check there is some oil in the reservoir and check the bearings are correctly adjusted.

is it the same as the 36?
manual here: http://www.bobhamswwing.com/justpics/us ... SH-MK2.pdf

with the machine unplugged:

Slacken the belt off and hold it away from the spindle and spin the spindle with your fingers. If its tight and you have 'normal' bearings as opposed to the taper bearing then the bearings are kaput . if it rumbles or has any lateral / up down movement then the bearings are kaput.
If it all spins quietly and smoothly then the motor is the next suspect , possibly the motor itself or the motor bearings.

nev":1aokig32 said:
If it all spins quietly and smoothly then the motor is the next suspect , possibly the motor itself or the motor bearings.

If it has a Run or Start/Run capacitor suspect it.

Symptoms of failed Start/Run capacitor are motor stationary and humming (don't leave it in this condition as it will rapidly overheat)

Belt seems fine and taught.

However when I went to take the capacitor off, the plastic round the bottom where it connects was broken away. New one on way , so hopefully start to get my pens made.

Thanks for help everyone

Thought would update and seek more help.

Replacement capacitor made no difference. Tighten the belt very slightly, however, although it made small bit difference, still jams but vibration increased.

Going forward, I was going to pack it in before I even turn something, but my plan d is after new year do a complete strip down , replace belt and bearings.

However, before I do that is there a way I can check the motor, as would hate for it to be the fault with so much time money and energy invested.

G

Consider checking the centrifugal switch in the motor. I had a similar symptom on my band saw motor. Centrifugal switch contacts can be arced up and sometimes weld together and sometimes not. Intermittent, with humming motor. I was able to remove and clean the contacts to get me by until I got a replacement contacts, very cheap. my two cents worth.

Yeah, been reading up on this.

That my next plan before anything else.

Thanks

Back