Jacobs chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beejay

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Im trying to find a Jacobs chuck but with a screw thread instead of morse taper fit.
The thread for my Hegner is 33x3.5 and it's to fit that.
Anyone got one they want to sell or know of a source?
regards, Bill

May I ask why you are wanting to put it on the headstock spindle ?

When I use a Jacobs I always put it on the tail stock end on a morse taper , and have the work on the headstock end in a chuck or on a face plate / screw chuck

Hope this helps :wink:

Blister":2fdm1g5m said:
May I ask why you are wanting to put it on the headstock spindle ?
Hi Blister,
Imagine it as an alternative to the Beall system.
regards, Bill

Would be easier to have it on a MT arbour and just stick it into the Morse tapered spindle, would likely be more concentric too. Or does the Hegner not have a tapered spindle

Going to be a big chuck is it needs to be threaded 33mm :shock: The alternative would be to have an arbour turned up that could be used in place of the "screw" in one of their screwchucks with suitable taper to take a drill chuck

Jason

Hi Bill.

If the reason you are looking for the threaded chuck is because the morse taper sometimes comes loose when working with it, drill and tap the small end of the taper and fit a draw bar.

Or have your existing chuck taper machined straight so as you can grip it in the centre of your scroll chuck jaws.

Personally I prefer the draw bar method.

As has already been mentioned, that is one mean chuck if it has a 33mm thread.

That would be a large jacobs chuck to fit that thread. One solution would be to buy Records CWA150/161 reduce from £49.99 to £29.99 at the moment. This chuck has a 3/4 x 16tpi thread. Then buy a thread adaptor from M33 to 3/4 x 16 tpi.

But why not just use a taper?

Who is this Jacob fellow and what does his chuck do?

A Jacobs chuck is like the chuck on a drill. You can get them with morse tapers to fit onto either stock. They are useful for drilling down the cebntre of wood from the tail stock or you can use them for holding really small items in the head stock. See here

Very useful bit of kit to have around

Pete

Hi, all of this seems terribly complex if you looked at the Multistar Marlin drive system all of your problems would be solved, chuck, drawbar and drives will fit on their system, have a look. I'm sure it will help Dave

Back