Jacob

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
woodbloke":2ck1oyl7 said:
SBJ":2ck1oyl7 said:
This is really out of order. This thread is about wishing someone a speedy recovery. The insults are not necessary. If the mods want to take action, it should be to ban these keyboard warriors rather than protect these idiots. Absolutely unnecessary.
Read SamQ's previous post SBJ...he does say something about wishing Jacob a speedy recovery, which I also agreed with - Rob

Ahh, that's ok then. Insult away. Go for it.

This thread has taken an incredible turn. Clearly we are not short of les miserables.

Perhaps this has it's root in previous exchanges where les miserables came off worst.

I would be interested to know exactly where Jacob can be shown to have given incorrect advice in the areas of design, construction or technique. Setting aside the hobby horse of rounded bevels which do actually work (I have felt the edge) if you can be bothered.

RogerS":w8e4b61u said:
I forgot to add.... not too sure about some of Jacob's advice either. A lot of it is wrong, ......
How would you know? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Examples please.

....to put Jacob up on a pedestal as the font of all knowledge is plain wrong......
I agree with that at least. As far as I am concerned it's an ongoing discussion about how things should be done, basically for my own benefit as I have taken more interest in hand processes in the last few years. I reserve the right to be wrong on occasions!

SBJ":28g3qktf said:
This is really out of order. This thread is about wishing someone a speedy recovery. The insults are not necessary. If the mods want to take action, it should be to ban these keyboard warriors rather than protect these idiots. Absolutely unnecessary.

Stuart, whilst i agree 100%, i fear you are wasting your time, as there are more mature attitudes to be found in the school playground.
It's unfortunate the levels some will drop too just to get a sly dig in. Perhaps they would be better off sloping back to their garden sheds.

modernist":28g3qktf said:
This thread has taken an incredible turn. Clearly we are not short of les miserables.

Perhaps this has it's root in previous exchanges where les miserables came off worst.

I would be interested to know exactly where Jacob can be shown to have given incorrect advice in the areas of design, construction or technique. Setting aside the hobby horse of rounded bevels which do actually work (I have felt the edge) if you can be bothered.

Well put Brian, i think we would all be interested to find out from the self proclaimed "guru's" where the incorrect advise has been given.

Jacob,
Best wishes for a fully and speedy recovery :wink:

Modernist":3ekp1tp1 said:

You're right. Sad state of affairs when a few, and they are in the minority, take a internet discussion forum so seriously that they can't even post a goodwill message to somebody. Sad indeed. You know who you are, try getting out a bit more.

May do.

Hmm. Now was this:

a) An opportunity for a Mod to air his own partiality.
or
b) An opportunity to lock the thread before it gets further out of hand?

Wanna phone a friend, Noel?

God, you're all pathetic. Happy Easter - let me know when someone resurrects this place as a woodworking forum and not rent-an-argument.

Alf":3rfv544l said:
God, you're all pathetic. Happy Easter - let me know when someone resurrects this place as a woodworking forum and not rent-an-argument.

images

Alf":2hjk2m20 said:
Hmm. Now was this:

a) An opportunity for a Mod to air his own partiality.
or
b) An opportunity to lock the thread before it gets further out of hand?

Wanna phone a friend, Noel?

Alf, if you're so against an OT board, why are you posting here?
You don't like Jacob, fine, I don't have a problem with that. But it is a bit pathetic when you attempt to insult others who don't agree with you.
I or the other mods don't need "opportunities" to lock threads, it's a simple click or two with the mouse, you may recall.

Lend us your handbag Bob, will ya?

But it is a bit pathetic when you attempt to insult others who don't agree with you.

Agreed, which is my complaint against Jacob! I have lost count of the number of occasions I have been branded, moron, silly person etc, and to be branded a racist by someone who uses the term 'Towel heads' does not endear him to me.
Sorry, but that's it!

Roy.

Digit":3ukla2nl said:
But it is a bit pathetic when you attempt to insult others who don't agree with you.

Agreed, which is my complaint against Jacob! I have lost count of the number of occasions I have been branded, moron, silly person etc, and to be branded a racist by someone who uses the term 'Towel heads' does not endear him to me.
Sorry, but that's it!

Roy.
...or 'twerp' in my particular case (and that post was reported to the mods, but I heard nothing, and I asked to be informed of the outcome iIrc)
As to incorrect advise I'll just mention two for starters...the use of a ruler (where he finally, after much wrangling, admitted that 'yes', there are occasions when they can be used and 'drawer slips' where his dogmatic and unchanging view ](*,) ](*,) is sometimes beyond my comprehension - Rob

woodbloke":3doqxnnu said:
...or 'twerp' in my particular case (and that post was reported to the mods, but I heard nothing, and I asked to be informed of the outcome iIrc)

Really......... a "Twerp" ..... how offensive .... I'm off to call the internet police for you, we deserve justice .... if I was a mod I'd have demanded we chop off his danglies....

Can I say danglies....... Noel is danglies acceptable or should I say bo******

Well, if he called you a "twerp" - that changes everything.

woodbloke":eq5mfe3x said:
As to incorrect advise I'll just mention two for starters...the use of a ruler (where he finally, after much wrangling, admitted that 'yes', there are occasions when they can be used
I never ever said they couldn't be used. What a ridiculous idea, I've no where you got it from. I use them often, and tapes. I think you just got something out of context.
m and 'drawer slips' where his... view ... is sometimes beyond my comprehension - Rob
It is, isn't it! Not my fault though.
Any more examples?

PS I'm sorry I called you a twerp Rob*. I don't know what came over me. :oops:
*If I did: you do seem to get things wrong on occasions.

Oh dear...

I have only engaged in 'conversation' with Jacob on a very limited basis. However, on those occasions and on those others upon which I have merely been an observer, I have found him to be aggressively self opinionated and feel that maybe his parents spared the rod. It may of course just be the way I was bought up and is a function of my age. Its one of the shortcomings of forums that you can't see the look in the eye when someone is 'speaking' to you so that you can judge the real intent.

Considering the number of people that react the way they do, I can only assume that he behaves this way on purpose in order to provoke a response. If this is so, he deserves everything he gets. If not, perhaps he could use some of the regrettable time he now has off to reflect why so many folk on here and indeed on other forums, shoot right back.

However, considering the amount of time I have spent in hospital lately, I have great sympathy with his predicament and wish him a speedy recovery.

Get well soon, you old todger.

I think a few people on here take themselves a bit too seriously, its only woodwork after all. If there is something I have learnt over the years, is there are many ways to do a job. I would be interested to see where he has given bad advise, a different view perhaps, but not bad advise.

Jacob":25me4n1t said:
PS I'm sorry I called you a twerp Rob*. I don't know what came over me. :oops:
*If I did: you do seem to get things wrong on occasions.

Jacob, you certainly did and I was mortally offended :lol: but apology accepted. I do get things wrong and am happy to admit (and learn at the same time ) from my errors, but by the same token...so do you, but it's your steadfast ability to thrust your point of view down others throats without considering another viewpoint that intensely irritates me and other members. Hence some of the tone of this thread. if you'd take 'time-out' to see that there's more than one way to skin the proverbial 'chat' UKW would be the far more genial and pleasant place that it once was. That said, there are issues where we've agreed and I've said so, the use of scrub planes for example being one.
For all that though, I hope you're on the mend and having taken a tumble on a patch of ice a couple of winters ago (and also coming off the Blokebike :oops: on the ice) I know how easily these things occur - Rob

OK Rob thanks for that.

gus3049":3ozi3dn2 said:
Oh dear...
..... I have found him to be aggressively self opinionated and feel that maybe his parents spared the rod. It may of course just be the way I was bought up and is a function of my age.........

We can only assume that your parents taught you to jump to conclusions? Come on, making comments about peoples parents now? Where will this end?

I think that the "twerps" are showing themselves up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back