Jaco

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gill what problems have you had with that kind of tape?
I really don't use it that much, but it works for me when I need it.
I am interested in what you have to say about it.

Bob

I would have thought that the sticky stuff would come off onto the blade and make it bind?
:roll:
(why cant we have a confused/puzzled Emoticon??)

Bob - the problem I find with packing tape is it sticks too well to the wood and when you try to remove it, it tears the surface. There's an example of this happening to me on the Scrollsaw Challengethread. It can also leave behind too much adhesive residue which has to be cleaned rather more vigorously than the residue from other adhesives before a finish can be applied.

Phil - It's not the adhesive which lubricates the blade but the coating on the back of the tape. Tape manufacturers have to ensure that their tapes can be pulled from the back of tape on the layer beneath. To do this, they coat the back of tape with a lubricant before they roll it. It's this lubricant on the back of the tape that helps to lubricate the blade as it cuts through the tape. The adhesive is simply sliced cleanly.

Gill

Gill,
The tape that I am using peels off very easy and a light sanding cleans it up. I guess they are different grades of tape. The tape I'm using comes from Walmart, so it is cheap.

Bob

gill what i do if the tape is to sticky is to press it on my jeans and peel it off this takes the stickyness off it .it works well with masking tape .

frank

Hi Frank

Believe it or not, I actually did that before I applied it to the Spitfire project. I still ended up with chunks of wood being lifted. Fortunately, low tack masking tape doesn't have the same drawbacks.

Gill

Thanks Gill :D :D
Will give it a try.
I use a "Pritt" when glue patterns on. paper peels off relatively easy and some water and cloth takes off the rest.
Phil

Latest posts

Back