Ivory

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMALMALEKI

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi there
I don’t have Ivory but wondering if the old Ivories from broken up cycling piano can be traded? I was trying to buy couple of piano keytops ( old ones are made out of Ivory ) but was told it is illegal to trade in Ivory.
Uncle google thinks it’s fine if it was built before 1947.

Cheers

As I understand the rule on ivory and tortoise shell, as long as it was worked prior to 1947, there are no restrictions on selling it. Raw ivory and tortoise shell harvested prior to 1947, but not worked, cannot be sold.

I knew two antique dealers in the States who bought damaged ivory items, such as keyboards, so the ivory could be used to repair more valuable antiques. However, both diligently document the purchases so any fresh modifications to the ivory won't result in the items being seized.

What do you need them for? The winding sticks you were on about doing a while back?

If you only need really smallish pieces, I've found Tagua nut to be a very good alternative. Pretty much the same whitish effect as the ivory and just as hard. Also quite inexpensive.

I would personally stay away from anything Ivory (Unless it was genuine Mammoth) just in case / my own ethical wellbeing.

Thank you for the advice. It was mainly to learn more about the law around it. I am always curious to experiment different techniques as part of my projects and learn this way. I was going to use it for inlays. But I will try Tagua Nut first.

Ta

I haven't been able to sell Ivory products for a few years now due to the upcoming law changes. I have also sold less and less items containing Mammoth Ivory, even though it isn't exactly an environmental issue but people are skittish about it. Sitting on what once was worth some money, now basically worthless.

Back