I've only gone and perfected sharpening! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I know!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trevanion":2dy6mw0s said:
I sharpen my pencils free-hand, sharpening guides are just bad technique.
Stop that malarkey at once Trevanion. You'll have to try harder than that mate. :D

@ Inspector: Apparently the key thing is to tuck your chin in.

Also, that looks neat. If i did a lot of drawing like sammy.se seems to do, clicked on his link, (nice ones to by the looks of it) I'd buy one. 'Till then on the very rare occasion (never) I use a flat lead pencil, Mr Stanley it is. Or would be. If you see what I might mean.

@Lons: Apparently the key thing is not to tuck your chin in.

Bm101":1cx3nz34 said:
Stop that malarkey at once Trevanion. You'll have to try harder than that mate. :D

It's no malarkey! the old masters have done it that way for centuries before any of these fancy sharpening gizmo's came about! First you start with a sharp chisel, not just any chisel though, a free hand sharpened chisel using a proper oilstone with the humps and hollows which creates the purrfect radiused bevel, once you've done that you strop the chisel on the inside of your leg right next to the femoral artery 50 times to refine it, no need for any special, expensive honing compounds, the natural oil from your skin, and gallons of blood is enough. Once that part of the process is complete you need to hold the chisel in the "triple monkey finger death" grip in your left hand to ascertain the proper technique of sharpening the pencil. Once the grip is achieved you need to pick up the pencil with your right foot, begin sharpening the pencil carefully and methodically, the blood trickling down your leg will lubricate the cutting edge of the chisel. A few swipes over the chisel and you will have the perfectly sharpened pencil, and extreme blood loss, but it will be worth it, trust me! :)

Or alternatively:

[youtube]DLCfgukYM-Y[/youtube]

:D

Bm101":2w1wxr5b said:
Trevanion":2w1wxr5b said:
I sharpen my pencils free-hand, sharpening guides are just bad technique.

@ Inspector: Apparently the key thing is to tuck your chin in.

Also, that looks neat. If i did a lot of drawing like sammy.se seems to do, clicked on his link, (nice ones to by the looks of it) I'd buy one. 'Till then on the very rare occasion (never) I use a flat lead pencil, Mr Stanley it is. Or would be. If you see what I might mean.

@Lons: Apparently the key thing is not to tuck your chin in.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm ashamed to say I was looking at electric pencil sharpener in Costco only a couple of days ago. :oops: :roll:
Thankfully my mean side overpowered the aquistion part of my brain. :lol:

Amateurs the lot of you.

You need to take a look at this and then take a long hard look at yourselves.

If you can handle it then this takes it to the next level.

The one true path is there to be found for those that seek.

If they had a Nobel Prize for woodwork - and why on earth don't they? - bm101's discovery would surely win it. It is clearly the same as the way the discovery of gravity waves put the icing on Einstein's relativity cake.

Now there's just the matter of the equivalent of proving the existence of dark matter. Answer me this: where does the chisel go when you put it down on the bench and how does it spontaneously reappear 17 seconds just after you've looked in the place where it eventually does turn up?

I love those brass pencil sharpeners BTW. I've got one and a spare just in case there's some sort of catastrophe.

OOH I really really want one of those big shiny chrome sharpeners in the first video :mrgreen: it looks like an old video camers,

Andy Kev.":1hgjx0u7 said:
Now there's just the matter of the equivalent of proving the existence of dark matter.

"Dark Matter". 80% of the universe is missing. If I get my calculations so horribly wrong that there is 80% missing, I start again from scratch. A scientist just comes up with a catchy-sounding hypothesis, and wins the Nobel Prize for Literature. Don't ever ask a scientist to measure up for you - it will be completely wrong, except the complicated theory as to why the entire universe is wrong, and the measurement is correct will have you eating out of his hand. I knew a plumber like that once...his plumbing was perfect - the entire rest of the house was incorrect.

Trainee neophyte":3hbn610r said:
Are we saying that Goldilocks is actually a dwarf witch, who blows things? Does she also have a flat head to rest your pint on? I will have to revisit the 3Bears story armed with the new knowledge, as I am sure that there will be some revelations for the newly initiated.

I believe she had all her teeth removed as well, bless her.

thick_mike":f5suz4c5 said:
Haha, I get mine pre-chewed from the floor in my classroom.

YUK !!!

My dog would chew them up if she got a chance but there would be nothing left to sharpen. :)

You need one of these...

0FEF0580-7DE9-4318-A3D0-D72EB5AD9B47.jpeg

Attachments

• 0FEF0580-7DE9-4318-A3D0-D72EB5AD9B47.jpeg
    0FEF0580-7DE9-4318-A3D0-D72EB5AD9B47.jpeg
    11.8 KB · Views: 225
Zeddedhed":3j4sj42m said:
Trainee neophyte":3j4sj42m said:
Are we saying that Goldilocks is actually a dwarf witch, who blows things? Does she also have a flat head to rest your pint on? I will have to revisit the 3Bears story armed with the new knowledge, as I am sure that there will be some revelations for the newly initiated.

I believe she had all her teeth removed as well, bless her.
I'm no dentist but when you build your house out of sweets to tempt the local children who are lost in the forest, you're bound to fancy a sugary snack more often than if your house is made from bricks and stuff. Stands to reason. Be hard to resist.

Back