I've had skilled company in the workshop today!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dodge":jg6o19bp said:
Blister":jg6o19bp said:
Shame the nice rocking chair wasn't there when I was , could of had a nice snooze in that :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Allen - should've gone to specsavers! the rocker was there standing infront of my Record lathe - I'll let you off though you have an early start :mrgreen:

Bum , a missed oppertunity

wallace":3loat2yr said:
What a lucky little chap. Rog you don't fancy adopting a 38 year old do you? :shock:

get in line!!!

has the little man had his first commission yet?..... a "& son" piece would create a beaming smile from him I reckon!

His Nanny (my mother) has asked him to make her a small occasional table - so yes he has got his first commission - previously I would have been asked but obviously the new kid on the block is getting the work (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

But if you want me to put things into perspective, we are having a few days away over Easter and along with his ipod and mobile phone he has also packed his Axminster catalogue!

thats ma boy! :lol: :lol:

That's impressive work - do I detect one dovetail pin left deliberately wide to allow the box lid to be separated after gluing up?

Good to see the No. 1 in action, too - Matthew must have a warm glow seeing that!

It's also good to see so many supportive comments on this thread too. Which of us wouldn't try to pass on some of the skills if we get the chance - it's almost an obligation on the silvertops to see basic craft skills passed on - none of us has ownership, we just look after them for future generations.

(By the way - 'occasional table' is a term that's always confused me. What are they when they're not tables?)

Yes, well spotted he did make a double pin ready for the hinged lid.

As for the occasional table I believe the definition is any small table, such as a coffee table, having no particular one function.

Hi,

He is doing some nice work, my two boys aren't the least bit interested in wood work.

These are my occasional tables made from 25mm AWO

DSCF0048.jpg

Could be a nice project for him, tapered legs, through mortaces, big chamfers under the top.

Pete

Well James has been busy in the workshop again today, and with a little help has finished the box he started earlier in this thread

I helped him rout in some inlay banding which he cut in and glued himself before scraping off the excess

DSCF4782.jpg

And after a good sanding started finishing it with cellulose sanding sealer

DSCF4785.jpg

DSCF4786.jpg

When dry those little arms really moved quickly rubbing it down before applying a second coat

DSCF4787.jpg

Then the wax went on

DSCF4788.jpg

DSCF4789.jpg

Before buffing off to a nice shine

DSCF4790.jpg

DSCF4794.jpg

DSCF4795.jpg

So one proud little fella (and one very proud dad!) with his box

DSCF4799.jpg

Blister":1c21t5by said:
One question

How comes he does not look totally knackered at the end of the day :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Because he is less than a quarter of our age, still has all his own hair and teeth - not like you and me! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Brilliant! Well done both of you - I am sure that box will be treasured for years to come, and be followed by many more. Quick work too!

Fantastic achievement =D> =D>

He must have been a woodworker in a previous life surely!

He has a great future ahead of him

Bob

Back