I've had skilled company in the workshop today!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I have had my lad in the workshop with me today and i managed to snap a few photos of him at work - he asked if he could come and make a small box and this is what he has been up to with all his own tools:-

Getting to grips with his nice new No1 plane - talk about like a duck to water - he planed beautiful square edges with it

DSCF4648.jpg

DSCF4650.jpg

Marking the ends of his boards with his wheel gauge

DSCF4652.jpg

Cutting the sides of his dovetails with his Zona gents saw

DSCF4654.jpg

Chiseling out the waste with his Narex chisels and the mallet i made him for christmas

DSCF4659.jpg

And he ended up with the four sides of a box all dovetailed - considering this is only the second time he has cut dovetails I think the little so and so is going to give me a run for my money in the not too distant future!

Here are his joints - remember he is only 10!

DSCF4660.jpg

Sorry but bit of a proud dad post this one !!! :D :D

So should you both be, the lad for sticking with the task and dad for giving him the encouragement.

Absolutely brilliant =D> =D> obviously in the genes.

Had that been my lad, I would have been looking rather suspiciously at the milkman et al :lol: :lol:

My lad has other talents though - he's a mathematical wiz though I have a sneaking feeling he's more practical than he lets on or he'd be doing his own bathroom at the minute rather than me. :? #-o

I'm not surprised you're proud of him! That's a very nicely jointed box and I just wish I'd been as good as him at that age and had such a good teacher.

Great to see him using his new plane too :)

Not sure who's the luckiest, you for having a son who is obviously talented, or the young fellow having you as a teacher!

Berwick & Son...... Has a nice ring to it don't you think.

Stew

DIY Stew":gd58855n said:
Berwick & Son...... Has a nice ring to it don't you think.

Stew

Yes it does but it will be his decision and his alone if he decided to follow in my footsteps - in the meantime I will develop his skills which will stand him in good stead for whatever future role he decided to follow.

DIY Stew":1q9osx3v said:
Not sure who's the luckiest, you for having a son who is obviously talented, or the young fellow having you as a teacher!

The lad for having access to a very well equipped workshop with lots of space as well as the teacher. The fact the lad has his own tools already and was actively looking for a No1 says a lot to me.

Her two oldest are 8 & 9 and I have had them in a few times. Me and the oldest built the Helicar together (thread on here somewhere) but although he enjoyed it every time I have had him or the 2nd oldest in they seem to get board quickly and ask to go home.

Had my girl in the other day with both the lads and she stayed the longest but only by minutes. Swept the floor. She keeps braking her dolls house so thought about making her fix it with me, one to teach her a lesson in respect and two to see if she has an interest.

Do you show your lad the comments he gets Rog? would you still if there negative?

Rog

You are so lucky to have such a talented son; mind you he is so lucky to have such an encouraging and skillful dad.

Delighted to see how proud you are of him as he deserves it.

Thanks for sharing.

I think you are right to let him choose his path as an adult and not have to come in with you to the business but when I saw Berwick & Son....it made me feel all warm inside as I am a firm believer in handing down skill, apprenticeships and the ways of a bygone age.

Yes....there are times when this idea didn't work out in the past...and businesses passed to cousins and partners...but it is nice to keep it in the family and he obviously has a) the talent and b) the yearning to follow down your path.

Seeing the work he is achieving at just 10 and seeing the work his father does....I would say this country has a bright future!

=D> =D>

Jim

Dodge":3d37xcas said:
Well I have had my lad in the workshop with me today and i managed to snap a few photos of him at work - he asked if he could come and make a small box and this is what he has been up to with all his own tools:-

Getting to grips with his nice new No1 plane - talk about like a duck to water - he planed beautiful square edges with it

Sorry but bit of a proud dad post this one !!! :D :D

One on one teaching, good facilities, decent tools - he's a lucky kid!

BugBear

Well done young man. Your enthusiasm does you great credit, and the work shows you listen to your Dad's teaching.

Best of Luck in whatever you choose to do. :D

SteveB43":2i64vzzs said:
A good book I read recently puts a lot of the education expectations, requirements and focus into perspective,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Case-Wo...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1333542866&sr=1-1

one of my favourite quotes, "You can't hammer a nail over the internet"

Cheers All..

I hated that book! Not because of the points the author made. But because of the academic writing style. The author is a philosopher, has a PhD and has written an academic book complete with footnotes and proper references. Not exactly light entertainment!

Phil
- A computer programmer who will now spend 10 minutes thinking about protocols to drive pneumatic hammers over an internet connection

Rog

He IS better than me :oops: and I am a little older :lol:

looks like a fine job the lad has done

Shame the nice rocking chair wasn't there when I was , could of had a nice snooze in that :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Blister":lermsdq0 said:
Shame the nice rocking chair wasn't there when I was , could of had a nice snooze in that :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Allen - should've gone to specsavers! the rocker was there standing infront of my Record lathe - I'll let you off though you have an early start :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back