I've declared war!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
After 15 years in my workshop without sight of a mouse, over Christmas some unwanted squatters have taken up residency under my bench - Not for long!

photo22.jpg

Two down - how many more to go??

we had mice in our workshop last month, and one of the lads brought in his Jack Russell. The dog had great fun trying to get at the place where the mice must have been holed up, but she never got one, but since then the mice have gone. It would seem that the very presence of the dog and its attempts to get them have persuaded the mice to seek safer accommodation, he says it works every time.

G

myturn":3r72bi4g said:
Mice just can't resist chocolate :mrgreen:

Neither can my wife - When I showed her the picture she said "Now thats the way to go - eating chocolate!"

She wasn't impressed though when I said anything can be arranged dear!! :mrgreen:

I have never used this method before, but I have heard that instant mashed potatoes can get rid of mice. The explanation ran something like this. When the mice encounter a bait tray of dry instant mashed tater flakes they gorge on them. As you might expect , this causes an extreme thirst in them. As long as there is no ready supply of water for them indoors they go outside for a drink. When the little pests get to a puddle outdoors they assuage the thirst and seal the doom in one fell swig as the mashed spuds swell and kill them by internal pressures. As I said , never had opportunity to test it , though it sounds like it might work.

lanemaux":3jaeqs66 said:
I have never used this method before, but I have heard that instant mashed potatoes can get rid of mice. The explanation ran something like this. When the mice encounter a bait tray of dry instant mashed tater flakes they gorge on them. As you might expect , this causes an extreme thirst in them. As long as there is no ready supply of water for them indoors they go outside for a drink. When the little pests get to a puddle outdoors they assuage the thirst and seal the doom in one fell swig as the mashed spuds swell and kill them by internal pressures. As I said , never had opportunity to test it , though it sounds like it might work.

I've heard about killing slugs with porridge oats, which eventually makes them burst, but never heard of killing rodents in a similar way.

lanemaux":1uqimtr4 said:

Isn't that a bit cruel?

For the first time in a few years we heard one under the bedroom floor this morning.

Off to buy a couple of new traps this afternoon as the old one have seen better days.

I normally use poison now when I get them in the shed or greenhouse but I don't fancy the smell of decaying mouse under the floor.

I have just got my van back after discovering just before Christmas on of the little B****rs had eaten some of the wiring under the bonnet, That was £130.00 :roll: :roll:

Tom

Actually Jen, by comparison to the most popular poisoned baits available here in Canada , not more cruel in my opinion. Warafin is a blood thinner (I know , I was on it for therapeutic reasons myself) . When used as a rat and mouse poison it dissolves the beasties from the inside. Other poisoned baits are inert masses once ingested and cause starvation by filling the gut and not evacuating . Slow starvation and internal melting strike me as just as bad as the method I mentioned above. As stated , I have had no cause to try it as my home is snake central. In the spring and early summer we watch the ground as we walk to avoid treading on the hundreds of grass snakes we have as impromptu pets,. Not a mouse or rat to be seen.

What Zilch-Wedlock me off Mike is the fact many seem to prefer poisons so that they don't have to deal with the corpse.
If push comes to shove the old fashioned 'break back' trap is quick and deadly.

Roy.

funny how threads start on this forum, i had a customer with water coming through their ceiling today only to find that a mouse has gnawed its way through a 15mm push fit bend causing a 10mm hole in the fitting, new ceiling, electrician and a plumbers bill to boot, i don`t think that causing the little begers to explode is that big a deal.
on the plus side more work for me :D

It was on TV the other day that House Mice are no longer a real problem in the UK as they have been well and truly clobbered over the years.
Most mice caught inside during Winter are generally Wood Mice - coming in from the cold.
Still make a mess though especially their urine!

Rod

RogerS":3lb7h41a said:
Is that a mouse or a rat?

Long tailed field mouse

Quite sweet really but I just don't want to share my workshop with them - They don't pay any rent!

I thought field mice were ok and quite a rare species?

BUT>>>>>whilst the early bird may well get the worm..........the second mouse gets the cheese/chocolate/peanut butter

Back