I've bought a Woodrat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi folks. I am trying to get my long boxed WoodRat in use. I have a couple of issues with it:

1 the button which you set for dovetails keeps ‘slipping’. I have overtightened it so that the nut moved in the plastic, however, whatever tension, it still slips. Are there any cured for this?

2 the left hand fence gets stuck on the body of the machine - it appears tilted in towards the body. I have shaved a bit off the plywood and added washers, but this seemed to make the situation worse.

2 I can live with, 1 renders the machine useless.

thanks

Hi folks. I am trying to get my long boxed WoodRat in use. I have a couple of issues with it:

1 the button which you set for dovetails keeps ‘slipping’. I have overtightened it so that the nut moved in the plastic, however, whatever tension, it still slips. Are there any cured for this?

2 the left hand fence gets stuck on the body of the machine - it appears tilted in towards the body. I have shaved a bit off the plywood and added washers, but this seemed to make the situation worse.

2 I can live with, 1 renders the machine useless.

thanks
Just to update, if anybody was having similar problems, I phoned Martin at woodrat & he confirmed it was ok to sand a bit off the sides of the centre button guage so it slides more easily. I did this and it works well now and I have had some success with dovetails.
Great device.

Is Loz_s's PDF still available?

I've recently dusted off the Woodrat after too many years not doing any woodwork, and I miss Adel's site. I made the horizontal work-holding table and it’s very handy for some of the stuff I do, but I’d like to see what other ways of working with the WR are available.

I'd be interested in this as well if someone has a copy . I had some pages copied but not sure if its complete

My Little Rat has made many book shelves, shoe racks or anything else with shelves... using sliding dovetails. As long as there are at least 3 shelves, they seem to tolerate astonishing weight with zero sag, I guess because for one shelf to sag, it will be in tension against the slots in the sides, and the other shelves will check it.

Hope some of these may be of help

Attachments

• WoodRat Corner 4.pdf
    151.2 KB · Views: 27
  • WoodRat Corner 5.pdf
    155.9 KB · Views: 10
  • WoodRat Corner 6.pdf
    162.4 KB · Views: 9
  • WoodRat Corner 7.pdf
    235.1 KB · Views: 10
  • WoodRat Corner 1-3.pdf
    309.5 KB · Views: 11
  • WoodRatCorner.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
22,801 KB's which these days is not large but the forum servers don't like it.
Hi Would it be possible to share via one drive or similar sounds like this might be useful. I just bought a secondhand rat to play with

I made a very rough and ready copy of Aldel's website many years ago (12 it would appear!) and turned it into a pdf. Everything that was ever on his site is in this document. I also have some extras that were printed in Routing Magazine that Woodrat users may find useful.

They are a bit too big to host on UKWorkshop but you can get them for a while from zippyshare:
Woodrat Mods by Aldel.pdf
wr-corner.zip

Hope you find it useful, I could never get to grips with the Woodrat.

EDIT: For those of you in the UK or Germany look down to post #16 for a link that will work for you.
that link leads to a Virus so beware

Back