its time for a new lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treefella83

Established Member
Reaction score
going to get an upgrade in the next few months and i would like your views please.
at the moment i have a record cl1 and it seems obvious to me to upgrade to the cl3 as all the chucks drives and centres can be swapped over .
i do like the sound of the phosphor bronze bearing but is it really that good?
i seem to turn a lot of off balanced natural edge bowls and platters and have out grown the cl1.
max spending £600 any ideas ?

Somewhat biased advice, cos my 1st lathe was a CL3. It has my vote, I really felt that the robustness of the bearing significantly assisted the performance.

The only comment I'd make is that Record look to be jiggering about with re-positioning the CL range in price terms following their taking over distribution of the Nova range, and introducing new models too (should add this is all my interpretation and supposition based on attending the D&M show last November and the press and marketing/promotional activity from Record since - I have no special insider knowledge!).

I'd suggest that their pricing at shows or via their Spring promotion (I'm guessing there will be one - again, no insider knowledge!) could be beneficial to you, especially if you're planning to do it within a few months rather than next week......which is a way of saying that there may be scope for a bigger upgrade than you're presently planning on?

And that leads me on to something you've probably considered, but that may drop into your range following the above possible marketing changes - it's the magic of electronic (completely) variable speed control! (that's the CL4 I'm talikng about in particular).
My vote would have to be 'go for it if you can'. I am a total convert, it makes life an unimaginably amount quicker and easier. The most obvious is the ability to set the speed of rotation to the safest sweet point, just like that! And then adjust it again 20 seconds later when you've re-modelled a sticky-out bit, and again, and again, fabulous! Each time just a slight turn of the knob. And you've tested the rotation for safety clearance, adjusted the rest at the best possible angle/alignment, and locked in the chuck or whatever at exactly the right position....all done at a very slow speed, say 20 rpm. That's probaby a bit odd to read, but it is delightful in the flesh!

OOps! My first lathe was actually a Clarke - and I learnt a lot from it, and confirmed that I was irretrievably committed to the slippery slope!
But my first serious lathe was a CL3......

I too have a CL4, and love it.

If you can stretch to the extra £'s, you won't regret it!

As Grebeard says, have a look at the RP stand at some of the shows, as you may pick up a deal.

Regards

Gary

In my opinionyou can't beat a plain bearing like the phospher bronze one on the CL3 as long as you maintain them ie lubricate and adjust as required. The only other lathe I know with a plain bearing is the VB which I think says it all. I've had a Coronet No 3 (now CL3) for 19 years (just sold it) and it never failed me and I turned some very large bowls on that, 20 inch dia by 8 inch deep.

Where ever you have moving parts as in a sealed for life bearing you have the possiblity of wear which can lead to vibration which is the killer when turning. I realise sealed for life bearings are pretty good these days.

I'd be warey of the CL4 because of where the switches are located on top of the motor when the headstock is swivelled. I'm sure I've commented on this in the past.

I also use a cl4 for a lot of my turning, and find the variable speed a real bonus, the position of the switch can easily be moved all thats needed is a couple of gromets to fill the bolt hole in the blank plate on the motor and on on the switchgear box, some 3 core and earth flex and some flexible conduit, a fairly easy job, the variable speed IMO is worth the extra money.

cheers all.
it looks like i will go for the cl3 but would prefer a coronet number 3 as i am a keen collector of old/vintage tools.
never used a lathe with vari speed and tell myself that i don't need it but one day i will.
well thanks everyone i will just have to see how it goes.
always checking ebay

Back