It's all about making things.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnelliott

Established Member
Reaction score
People might ask why we like woodwork. Is it because we like working with natural products, or is it the smell of the sawdust, or are we fascinated with the different joints, or tools or machines or techniques

I think it's simply that we like making things, and if it wasn't wood, then what would it be? It would have to be metal, or clay, or cloth, or, or....

I reckon most of us are here simply because we like making things.

John

I agree John. This is all very new to me but before I was introduced to woodwork I spent my time (and still do) renovating old Land Rovers. I'm an engineer by trade and have always loved "mending" things too.
There is a special satisfaction from making something from wood and having it around the place. Wood is such a warm medium too.
Personally I find making things from wood (especially turning) is the best mix of using my technical ability and "artistic flair".

I too have been in metal most of my working life last 4 yrs Robot wars that is electronics and pneumatics too but in the end all to ectic traveling round country doing charity events and tv shows and repairing inbetween them , then carry on . so now gone over to something i have wanted to do for many years woodwork and the easy life or so i thought :roll:

John

I must be the exception to prove the rule. I have hated metalwork since school. I have only tinkered with cars out of necessity and if I can I'd sooner pay to have work done than DIY (I find I'm more foregiving of other peoples workmanship than my own).

No, I just love wood.

Regards

Roy

Could there not be the class of woodworker who just likes to collect tools and gadgets?? :D :D

ColG":15lvymsq said:
Could there not be the class of woodworker who just likes to collect tools and gadgets?? :D :D

Sssshhhh - you'll attract the gloat-meisters!

For me - i loved metal work at various stages of education and employment, but the cost of doing it as a hobby was prohibitive...and i like wood anyway, so a natural evolution...or should that be devolution?

John, i think that it is the love of making and fixing things.

Like Duiker when i get the time (and money) i like restoring cars, but in my case it is Mk11 Jags.

Regards

Woody

Same as that, John - for me it's simply because of the satisfaction and enjoyment I get from making things, and I'm here for all the useful info. I gain to help me and, hopefully, to sometimes contribute some. Oh, and to enjoy the banter. :lol: :lol:

Not the remotest bit interested in 'gloating' for gloating's sake, though. :roll: :roll: Reckon I've already seen all those pictures in the catalogues, mags., and on www - but always interested to see what people do with the things. :wink:

Cheers,

Trev.

Did someone call??? :wink:
John, I love making stuff (regardless of what it is) and if I don't "achieve" something each day I get a little cranky-it's just the way I am :lol:
I also enjoy computers, but you can spend your complete life sat in front of them and for what?? Do love this forum though-a little help and inspiration go a long way (and I don't have to put my anorak on! :roll: )
cheers
Philly :D

Not so much making things for me as just working with wood. I love it! Love designing too. I don't like metal work though - never been drawn to it at all.

Design and creation. I NEED to make things as my job is purely intellectual and does not provide an outlet for my more creative side. Also, making furniture for 1/2 hour each evening is great stress relief :)
I don't much like making other peoples designs but sometimes do (Norm's router table)

I model in clay, paint water colours, make things from metal and love working with wood - the smell, feel, and look

I asked this question a while back and here are the response from then

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3483

I too enjoy the making
I also enjoy the giving.
In these days when so many have the money to buy just about anything the always sincere appreciation of someone who has been given something made just for them makes the time spent making it worthwhile.

Does this sound slushy?

Andy

Good question John!

I do love making things, although to be frank, I like starting to make things and completing stuff (there is a middle section which somehow can lose its thrill for me). I did do up old cars when I was younger - Austin Healy, MGB etc but found the whole welding, fabricating process too dirty and smelly which is probably why I am not that much of a fan of metalwork.

I did think long and hard about going to art college when I left school to become a silversmith but didn't pursue it - too much pressure to get a 'proper' degree! Wish I had in a way because it then took me a further 12 years to get back into a frame of mind that acknowledged how much I need to make things for a sense of satisfaction.

Having just gone through my finances after a couple of large jobs failed to materialise (or worse still unknown as to whether they will) it would be reasonable to ascertain that I don't like making money and I do like making a mess!!! :shock: :cry: :wink:

Cheers

Tim

I like making things and I like mending things. I hate the chuck it away and get a new one approach, if the old one still works or with a bit of a fettling can be made to work I am there. Thats why there is now a 1972 Wadkin saw in pride of place in the workshop.

I used to rebuild old British motor bikes as a hobby, I got fed up with the oil and grime.
So I have returned back to woodworking, first started at my Dads side many years ago. I worked in one of our friends builders yards making fence panels and sheds. I was put out by having to chose between woodwork and metalwork in the second year of senior school. Dad is still into both, scratch built model Lifeboats being the thing he spends lots of his time on.

I like making things to give the grandchildren, their reaction is just magic and makes me want to get back out in the shop again.

John
I really enjoy making things, especially out of wood. I like to be able to see results that I can appreciate and if I caused them that is a real boost for me. Wood is such a lovely medium to work with and over the years I have been amazed at how it is so resilient too. I have seen enough burning buildings to last me a lifetime but the number of times I have been struck by the behaviour of the timber components is remarkable. It is terrific stuff and sometimes it can be a life-saver - literally!
Yes, I am a big fan of wood and I don't care who knows it. What else can you treat in such an awful fashion with sharp tools and cutting edges and expect to see something really beautiful at the finish? Perhaps that should be "hope" instead of "expect"! (There's a cue for a bit of a list there, I think!)
Cheers.

SF

Hello all

New to this forum and very glad I found it. I have read some threads and realise I am among craftsman that share my passion. I could learn a lot from you lot.
Anyway, for me it's about wood. I get great pleasure from making things but also from admiring the work of others. As a woodworker I can appreciate the skill it takes to craft bits of trees into beautiful furniture. I can spend hours drooling over beautiful tools and wishing I had them but nothing is like being in a workshop full of wood and tools, radio on and an entire weekend to indulge in them.

Carl

I started out as a toddler taking things to pieces, any mechanical device would be in pieces in seconds if I was left with it. The gas cooker was the final straw so my parents bought me a Mechano set and I have been hooked on making things ever since.

Just to reinforce my already macho image, two years ago I made my sister in law's wedding dress. Bought a pattern and treated it like a model kit; I had to have a week off work just to get my hands smooth enough to work with the fabric.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/ ... nemail.jpg

I'm impressed Keith, you're not alone.

I used to work at Shepherds Bush market and would regularly buy a "trouser length" to knock up a pair of trousers. Made some for the kids out of curtain samples - nice and flowery, they've never let me forget that. Have even made curtains.

Col

Good Grief Guys!

You really have come out of the closet haven't you? :wink:

I am very impressed. I could never have spawned the thought, let alone done anything about it.

Keith, that looks terrific. You went into the wrong line - dress makers/designers seem to make much more more than woodworkers.

Latest posts

Back