Its a turnin' - honest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gus3049

Established Member
Reaction score
Like the previous effort, it has turned spinners which is why its here.

Not a scale model but I think it captures the 'essence' of the Mozzie OK. I was a bit worried about doing three bladed props when my brother in law pointed out that some Mosquitos had four. Handy!! Two two bladed props halved together and nicely down the grain. :D

Still undecided about the finish. The ply doesn't work as well on this as the previous one I think, so I might give it a coat of something coloured. The props are now nicely polished up but I fancy black with yellow tips.

No real breeze today but it turns into the wind smartish and a couple of gusts managed to spin the props so in a good wind it should motor. Naturally the props are handed so they spin in opposite directions, don't want it pulling sideways.

Attachments

• 100_3879.jpg
    100_3879.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,049
  • 100_3880.jpg
    100_3880.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,050
  • 100_3882.jpg
    100_3882.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,049
Well, at least the Starboard prop is correct. i.e. spinning clockwise looking from the rear. There never was a Merlin made to got he other way :shock: :shock:

Other than that, yup, I like it, looks good! How many channels has it got for the RC? I would gues hazard a guess at 3? Rudder, elevator and ailerons :mrgreen: Although there may be retracts for the undercarridge too?

Seriously for once, I think that it's turned out really well mate! =D>

Jonzjob":3dpyprmc said:
Well, at least the Starboard prop is correct. i.e. spinning clockwise looking from the rear. There never was a Merlin made to got he other way :shock: :shock:

Other than that, yup, I like it, looks good! How many channels has it got for the RC? I would gues hazard a guess at 3? Rudder, elevator and ailerons :mrgreen: Although there may be retracts for the undercarridge too?

Seriously for once, I think that it's turned out really well mate! =D>

Don't forget the bomb doors!!!

Shows what I know, I assumes they would have the props contra rotating to spread the torque :oops: Well I ain't making another one so it will just have to look good whizzing round instead of being right

Oh Gordon! They used an intercom when they torqued to each other.

Now you could really have fun if you did a Fairy Ganet. That is a twin engined, well sort of, where the props go different ways. You could also do the folding wings because as a Penguin aircraft it had folding wings. By the way, Penguins are the Fleet Air Arm, penguin = all flap, no fly :twisted: :twisted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhZRVc9SS0M

=D> Very nice plane. I'm guessing that has been made as a wind vane? Do you make them as children toys as well, I know the child in me would have loved one. =D>

Jonzjob":3z49np9j said:
Or, even better, one of these!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Z1UnRZ ... =endscreen

Now that would be impressive :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hmmm....

Ronnie has just issued a challenge. She reckons that anything with a rotor won't turn properly in the wind!!! Rats, just when I am in the middle of doing ceilings too. Can't resist a challenge.

Alli":3z49np9j said:
=D> Very nice plane. I'm guessing that has been made as a wind vane? Do you make them as children toys as well, I know the child in me would have loved one. =D>

Indeed, a wind vane sort of thing. The child bit is about right. There is something fascinating about watching these things in the garden. Much to his wife's 'amusement', the guy I made the first one for has stuck his on a pole, right in the middle of their lawn so he can sit and watch the props whizz round. Apparently, he sits there for hours, drinking his wine and beer, its a tough life out here.

I would worry about the age of the child, I can see a good way of turning them into toys but there would be vulnerable bits that would break off methinks.

Tazmaniandevil":3z49np9j said:
Paint it up in Luftwaffe colours and watch the locals take off with their hands up......

I'll get me coat.....
getmecoat.gif

Not nice at all. Anyway, I thought of it first. As it happens I like the French so the idea was still born.

Back