Items out of stock

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starlingwood

Established Member
Reaction score
I've noticed a lot of tools are out of stock lately. I've bought a pl/th and a dust extractor both with an estimated end of March delivery.

What is going on? Is it just supply issues due to lockdowns and illnesses? Delivery issues? Increased demand? Or a bit of all three? Any retailers and importers on here?

Not just lately but for quite a while now. As for why, pretty much all of the reasons you mentioned. I've recently had quite a few new tools/machines and some items I had to wait months for as there was no UK stock available. Nick Laguna UK is a member here who falls into the category you mention who has posted at length on here as to the difficulties importers/retailers are having and it's something we will all have to deal with for quite some time I imagine. Even with vaccinations picking up in pace , Covid isn't done with us yet and there's also the issue of new trade arrangements to be made post Brexit. Add on lock down fever and holiday funds being spent on stuff to do at home and the current situation probably won't be resolved this year.

I've been struggling with appliances and machines since sept / october.

Do you tend to stick with 1 maker or just use whoever DrBob

Do you tend to stick with 1 maker or just use whoever DrBob

I probably sell siemens the most, but we also do Miele, Fisher & Paykel, Wolf / sub zero.
I can source them all but the above are the main ones.
Previously I could turn appliances around in about 2 weeks or less, now due demand, covid issues and brexit issues it's between 6-8 weeks but it's only a case of managing things a bit better.
Some will pounce on the brexit thing as I have been vocal on that, but early days and these issues were here before we left the EU.

not heard of fisher and paykel will need to look them up. Trying to find a steam oven for when I can get round to do the kitchen

Any of you guys ever food shop? Loads of regular (for me) items continually out of stock at the HUGE supermarket near me.

not heard of fisher and paykel will need to look them up. Trying to find a steam oven for when I can get round to do the kitchen

I went siemens in mine, mid range but better than Bosch and Neff in my opinion and look good. If you want bulletproof then the better miele models are the best but expensive.

What is going on? Is it just supply issues due to lockdowns and illnesses? Delivery issues? Increased demand? Or a bit of all three?

It's a bit of all seven in my view.

We are pre-selling out before stock even comes in..

Covid mainly started it with factory shutdowns / less production early last year + then increased global demand / no catch up + less ships + messy UK ports + any stock already ordered on forecast was lower than reality needed/no catch up option + pricing through the roof on containers + delivery issues regionally.

Perfect maelstrom of madness in what has been a mad and sad time for many.

Stay well all.
Nick

Last edited:
We have a Neff or Naff as my wife calls it. I've never known such a slow grill. We have a Miele washing machine and dishwasher. If it hadn't been for the fact that we had an excellent Miele washing machine twenty six years ago when we had the kitchen re fitted, we would never have bought Miele again after our experience with the dishwasher which was constantly breaking down, and this was an £800 purchase then. In the end Miele replaced it and the replacement is still going well twenty odd years on.

I can't fault Miele customer service. Our second washing machines drum bearing broke up six months before the ten year warrantee expired. They replaced the machine with a new one of similar spec including a new five year warrantee.

Nigel.

We have a Fisher & Pakel double drawer dishwasher. Great gear for a couple that don't always have full loads to wash. Had a pump quit out of warrantee but the service technician brought one with him and had it changed in a few minutes. If there is a next time I know what to get and will change it myself. Don't need any tools.

Lots of stuff on backorder or slow to come in here too. The problem is the same for everybody.

Pete

Had a Miele dishwasher for four years then it stopped. Something to do with a circuit board and of course it 'was beyond economical repair' No wonder the planet is drowning in our own waste.

I believe Miele are now the only manufacturers that use replaceable bearings on their washing machine drums - replacing the drum means just about everything else is beyond economic repair. We had a HiSense (Chinese) machine that was a cracking machine but the bearings went when it was a month out of guarantee. Fortunately we insured it.

we bring in tools and the ports are congested -bulky lower costs items arent worth shipping at $12k a container when you might only get 1000 in ( ut was $1600. factories are rammed with orders so as usual make the items that are easiest with the highest margins for them, rest is shipped when they have to and only then-

rest assured the chinese are making a fortune out of the pandemic - prices going up - availability going down means prices at retail will only go one way - up.

Interesting. I've just been reading up and there seems to be a monopoly of Chinese firms in the past few years on the shipping lanes from east China to Europe and they have capitalised on demand since September 20. Apparently there was an issue with shortages of containers but now its just a demand thing. Hopefully more shipping companies will come forward otherwise western world will look to go elsewhere for manufacturers (apparently Turkey and Mexico) and the Chinese government might have to flex their muscles with these shipping companies.

Latest posts

Back