It worked!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digit

Established Member
Reaction score
This is one for the DIY bikers out there.
I have to change the fork seals on my Honda 400 Superdream, you know the procedure, remove the brake calipers, mudguard and front wheel then you remove one fork from the upper and lower yokes then clamp it tightly in a vise without damaging it, (I love that bit!)
Next you stick a suitable sized Allen key up th fork leg and release the locking screw that Mister Honda has lavished a load of thread lock on till either the whole assembly turns in the vise, or if you are lucky the screw loosens.
I imagine many of us have been there.
This time I was determined to try a different approach. Having stripped the wheel, calipers and mudguard from the forks I replaced the wheel spindle to keep everything in alignment, then I inserted a length of threaded rod through one of the caliper fixing lugs and through its opposite number on the other leg.
With nuts and washers on either side of each mounting lug the forks were now incapable of rotation. Next I removed the wheel spindle spindle, inserted the Allen key and turned.
With a nice satisfying Crack! the screw released!!!!
Now for the other swine!

Roy.

It worked on the second leg as well. I'm well pleased. Lugging a bike up and down to get the forks out is not my idea of fun at my age!

Roy.

The last set I did needed a rattle gun to free the allen bolts,

Yeah, not one of my favourite jobs normally, even then it needed an Allen key and 250 mm of leverage to release the little swines!

Roy.

Hi,

I have upside down forks in my ZXR750 and they are much easier to do.

Pete

I'm glad to here it Pete. Stripping forks on oldermachines is probably the most frought job on the list.

Roy.

I find 'em!
In between rebuilding the kitchen I dropped the first slider off ready to change the seals. As I have a lathe I decided to do the job properly and make a proper 'drift' to drive the replacement seals into the sliders.
I measured the stanchion diameter but needed to remove the old seal to determine the diameter of the recess for the seal.
That the seal was not original now became apparent.
First the 'bruising' on the slider top edge showed where the originals ahd been levered out, the secon clue was the fact that damn seal is in upside down!
I do find 'em!

Roy.

One thing to remember if changing seals is to be scrupulously clean. The slightest bit of dirt on the seals or the seats will make getting them in a real pain. I used a piece of waste pipe as a drift, was a perfect fit.

Mick

One of the things I found out when I removed the first slider Mick was just how much muck had got past the seals, it was solid in the well at the bottom. Mind you, with the seals in upside down I suppose it was to be expected.
I'm fitting gaiters this time. What can't get onto the forks can't get past the seals is my reasoning.

Roy.

Latest posts

Back