It never rains...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knappers

Established Member
Reaction score
So there I am sitting at work this afternoon, listening to the rain on the roof, when there is a terrific bolt of lightning and the rain starts pouring in through the roof...
Within minutes, the ceilings were collapsing, and we were inches deep in water. I shut down all my file servers and killed the power. I was just sheeting things down, when someone came in and said "Quick, your new car (which I only picked up on Sunday) is about to float off in the car park".
So I rushed outside to see water over the bottom of the doors!! I had to do something as the water was rising fast. Fortunately, it was just under the inner seal when I opened the doors.
When I left, water was coming up through the floors, but the servers were still dry, thank god. Now we just need to wait and see what the state of the roof is, and how long it will be before we can get the power back on and all my systems back online.
I have taken the car on a bit of a run to try and dry the exhaust system out and get some heat through the car...

Si.

Lucky lad (as far as the motor is concerned).

I had the misfortune about 13 years ago to hit a very large puddle about at foot deep at 60mph. Middle of the night and raining so didn't see it. (Wifies fault as I was on taxi duties for her night out and she persuaded me to go off track to drop off some of her mates at 1am :evil: ).

Anyway - result was a wrecked engine on the Citroen Xantia diesel and a bill for £2500 which luckily was mostly covered by insurance.

Hope the premises are back in order soon. Having witnessed the thunderstorms here this afternoon you have my sympathy.

Bob

Hope the damage is minimal. Sounds like you had a lucky escape with the lightning, buildings can be repaired but people less so!

I feel so sorry for people affected by floodwater, so little time and usually very little to be able to do to alleviate the situation.

Good luck with the repairs and the car.

Regards Keith

Down here the sky got as black as night. Behind us lies a small hill but the farm track that runs along the top of our bank dips down from both sides. I've been caught out before with water cascading down and so put a ditch in place with a large bore pipe to run off any water.

So there I am on the phone to my sister, looking at the water overflowing from the gutters and running down the walls of the house...oblivious to the carnage outside at the back. My wife has also believed the BBC weather forecast and gone into town to do some shopping in the sports car before the forecasted rain arrived. There is a notorious spot that always floods near us and she would be on the other side. So I get ready to go down in the 4x4 like a knight in shining armour to rescue her from wherever she managed to get to. Still oblivious to the carnage.

Step outside and round the back to see ..........Niagara Falls cascading down the bank, the parking area inches deep in brown clayey water...which was pouring down the gravel path at the side of the house and filling up the path nicely behind some York stone edging...and so pouring through the airbricks into the house. House smells very musty this morning ........

Sorry to hear your woes, did I miss somthing? has it been raining? Has been lovely here!

Back