It may not be much but.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrisminordriver

Established Member
Reaction score
...Im pleased with it!.

I managed to get down the shed today - had my first real try at woodturning . I turned a handle for one of the vices on my workbench, complete with removable bulbous bit at one end so it'll fit on OK. And it fitted - and the vice works - yipppeee!!!

Regards, MMD

ps now just need to learn how th sharped the gouges! - any tips for someone who just has bench stones?

pps - not sure if this should have gone in the turning pages...?

Hi MMD,
I know its a cheap laugh but:
- any tips for someone who just has bench stones?

Buy a grinding wheel.
I'm serious, turning tools are useless without one.
Cheers
Steve
PS and a good guide is useful too. I recommend Rowleys books. I use a system of wedges that came out of a Woodworker mag in the 80s I think.

Hi,

i bought a lathe last year, i managed to turn a couple of things, but i havn't used it for months, this is because i don't have a grinding weel to sharpen the tools with :(

I tried with a stone but it didn't work very well :?

Ta

Tom

Mike,

Congrats! But I agree; I'm afraid a grinder is a must. :( And I'll second Steve's suggestion and strongly urge you to invest in a copy of Keith Rowley's Woodturning; a foundation course. He has a good little grinding rest design in there and lots of advice on sharpening.

Cheers, Alf

P.S. Yep, I'll move it. You'll have to get used to being a turner now :wink:

but devon that requires acertain amount of co-ordination in the hands that I sadly lack when a lathe is not fitted with a cross slide, I often think I have spent too much time upon a metal cutting lathe.

Mind when I have cleared the workshop and have just a little space I may have another go. I hate to be beaten by a technique :evil:

Bean

It is possible to sharpen tools on the lathe itself.If you have a faceplate or chuck make a block of wood to fit the chuck/faceplate, stick some emery paper on the face of the block and start your lathe. Different grades of paper can be used. I have just made a leather honing pad using the same method.

To Jaymar:

I've used the same idea on my tablesaw - a 10" disc with sandpaper on it, coarse one side, fine the other. Good old Sears!

Hi MMD,

Did you solve your sharpening problem? I bought a Record 6 inch grinder, the one with the wide white wheel, it was £40 well spent. If you have a steady hand you can sharpen your chisels freehand - yeah right! Make yourself a grinding rest and a wedge for each chisel type to get the angle right, then sharpening is an absolute doddle.

Wulf

The first thing I made on my lathe (last year) was a new pull handle to close the garage door. I still fondle it lovingly each time I use it!

Hi Wulf,
thanks for the enquiry...
Yup - I got an electric grinding wheel and bought an adjustable rest from Axminster - its all fitted together but Ive not yet got round to sharpening...mainly due to having been making:
2 shelving units / one fitted wardrobe / one changing table - all for MMD Junior who is due to arrive next month.
Im also keeping my eyes open for a good 2nd hand affordable lathe on ebay etc but the prices are a bit steep (Myford Mystro went for £670!!). Im hoping to sell my PA (ie Public Address - not Personal Assnt) to raise funds for lathe.
Regards, MMD.

Latest posts

Back