Members can turn off viewing Ads!

It may not be much but.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

morrisminordriver

Established Member
Reaction score
...Im pleased with it!.

I managed to get down the shed today - had my first real try at woodturning . I turned a handle for one of the vices on my workbench, complete with removable bulbous bit at one end so it'll fit on OK. And it fitted - and the vice works - yipppeee!!!

Regards, MMD

ps now just need to learn how th sharped the gouges! - any tips for someone who just has bench stones?

pps - not sure if this should have gone in the turning pages...?

Bean

Established Member
Reaction score
well done Morris, I envy people who can turn wood, I had a go once but struggled.

Bean

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi MMD,
I know its a cheap laugh but:
- any tips for someone who just has bench stones?

Buy a grinding wheel.
I'm serious, turning tools are useless without one.
Cheers
Steve
PS and a good guide is useful too. I recommend Rowleys books. I use a system of wedges that came out of a Woodworker mag in the 80s I think.

thomaskennedy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

i bought a lathe last year, i managed to turn a couple of things, but i havn't used it for months, this is because i don't have a grinding weel to sharpen the tools with :(

I tried with a stone but it didn't work very well :?

Ta

Tom

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Mike,

Congrats! But I agree; I'm afraid a grinder is a must. :( And I'll second Steve's suggestion and strongly urge you to invest in a copy of Keith Rowley's Woodturning; a foundation course. He has a good little grinding rest design in there and lots of advice on sharpening.

Cheers, Alf

P.S. Yep, I'll move it. You'll have to get used to being a turner now :wink:

Bean

Established Member
Reaction score
but devon that requires acertain amount of co-ordination in the hands that I sadly lack when a lathe is not fitted with a cross slide, I often think I have spent too much time upon a metal cutting lathe.

Mind when I have cleared the workshop and have just a little space I may have another go. I hate to be beaten by a technique :evil:

Bean

G

It is possible to sharpen tools on the lathe itself.If you have a faceplate or chuck make a block of wood to fit the chuck/faceplate, stick some emery paper on the face of the block and start your lathe. Different grades of paper can be used. I have just made a leather honing pad using the same method.

A

Anonymous

To Jaymar:

I've used the same idea on my tablesaw - a 10" disc with sandpaper on it, coarse one side, fine the other. Good old Sears!

morrisminordriver

Established Member
Reaction score
...and now Ive been down again this evening and turned the handle to fit the second vice - and that works too!.
Better re-read the thread that had ideas on disposing of chippings etc!
MMD

A

Anonymous

Hi MMD,

Did you solve your sharpening problem? I bought a Record 6 inch grinder, the one with the wide white wheel, it was £40 well spent. If you have a steady hand you can sharpen your chisels freehand - yeah right! Make yourself a grinding rest and a wedge for each chisel type to get the angle right, then sharpening is an absolute doddle.

Wulf

The first thing I made on my lathe (last year) was a new pull handle to close the garage door. I still fondle it lovingly each time I use it!

morrisminordriver

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Wulf,
thanks for the enquiry...
Yup - I got an electric grinding wheel and bought an adjustable rest from Axminster - its all fitted together but Ive not yet got round to sharpening...mainly due to having been making:
2 shelving units / one fitted wardrobe / one changing table - all for MMD Junior who is due to arrive next month.
Im also keeping my eyes open for a good 2nd hand affordable lathe on ebay etc but the prices are a bit steep (Myford Mystro went for £670!!). Im hoping to sell my PA (ie Public Address - not Personal Assnt) to raise funds for lathe.
Regards, MMD.