It had to happen!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandyn

Established Member
Reaction score
I knew that sooner or later I would break one of my LED strips, so was really interested to have a look inside. Pretty basic design, about 100 LED's in series. I couldn't find the end with the driver . Dropped in the garage somewhere.
IMG_4531.JPG

I managed to remove the strip from the tube. A few diodes were broken, but they are pretty tough devices. The diodes are mounted on a flexi strip which is stuck to the tube using an adhesive which possibly has good thermal properties to transfer heat to the glass, but each diode only dissipates about 200mW. It's easy to cut the strip into groups of three diodes and use it in a 12V system. Diode drop is about 2.5V . I had them running at 20mA, and reasonably bright.
I have a use for them already :)

That’s interesting mine appear to be plastic tubes I’ve caught them a few times & they just bend so I figured they couldn’t be glass :unsure:

Mine are some kind of plastic and to be fair they have taken more than a few bumps and knocks and are still good and working well. Gone are the days of spending ages picking up broken glass ;), just give them a wipe down with a damp cloth now and then to get rid of the dust.

These were definitely glass and very thin, I spent ages picking up broken glass. It was a Philips. I'll look for plastic next time. The LED strip is very tough and would easily survive flexing on a plastic tube. A plastic one would have survived My accident.

Lidl were selling complete 4' waterproof fittings with these LED lamps in for £14.99 last week. Bought a load to put in my workshop as I was always worried I'd hit the old uncovered fluorescent tubes I used to have. Got a bit clumsy and smashed one. The replacement tube is £12.99! go figure!

Back