Reaction score
How do you find the poolewood lathe?
Heavy bit of kit aren't they!
I love mine

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Heavy? I concreted the bed bars, amd the base has the bricks from eight night storage heaters in it. Oh, and a hundredweight of sand as well. Move it does not.

Freddyjersey2016

Established Member
Reaction score
Nice to see a bench without an apron - I am sure I will be told otherwise, but after 30 years of using a bench without aprons, I have yet to see the need for a 9"apron unless the projects you are working on weigh more than 2 metric tons.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
It's perfectly stable - the top two baulks are 70mm African mahogany of some description, my late friend fished out of Hayle and got it out of the sea. It's like rock. The bottom rails are 4", but one is higher than the other - the shelf runs from the top of the front to a quadrant on the bottom of the one on the back. It helps stop "parallelogramming". :D I admit to being quite proud of it - I made it from a wheelchair. The handle on the end is to pull myself in if using a manual chair.

Aldenton

Reaction score
How do you find the poolewood lathe?
Heavy bit of kit aren't they!
I love mine
Have you got any info on the tail stock construction,put new clamping lever on , now tailstock shaft revolving when tightening

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
It sounds as if the "eye" on the operating screw is set too low. Take the bar with the eccentric cam out and give the "eye" it goes through a turn or two to raise it. A bit of trial and error and you'll get it right. Clean it and grease it before you put it back. You will be able to put put the bar back only when the cam is upwards - it tighten the tailstock as you turn it downwards.