Is your iMac or Macbook getting long in the tooth ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm using a mid-2009 MBP (5,4) with 8GB or RAM. Which SSD did you use for your MBP and which battery are you going to use?
I used to have a similar aged MBP. In all honesty, it doesn't matter too much which SSD you go for, but I'd look out for a Crucial MX500 which are well priced and good enough. Battery-wise, please get one from a reputable company. I bought one from Ebay. It wasn't the cheapest, but it was still junk (lasting only about 3 months before it would lose capacity in a matter of less than a hour doing very light workloads).

I'm on a 2017 iMac i5 with a fusion drive. What a downgrade that was from my 2009 iMac! Seriously, it was so utterly useless that I sent it back thinking it must be faulty. The replacement was every bit as slow. To this day I don't know why I kept it but I did. Since then I have taken the HDD out and put it in an external case to use as photo storage, put an SSD in to replace it, upgraded the memory from 8GB to 16GB and "broken" the fusion drive in order to access the separate (but very paltry!) 27GB SSD NVME drive that formed part of the fusion. It's usable now but considering the price paid and the money thrown at it since I don't feel like I have value for money, something which did feel with all of my previous Macs. For now it will have to do as I don't have the time, money or inclination to upgrade it further but one day I think I'll "upgrade" to a 2013-ish iMac!

Thank goodness Apple have finally killed off the fusion drive. I am dismayed to see that the base model 27" iMacs are supplied with a 256GB SSD though, I find that insulting on a £1800 machine. I mean I know that Apple generally uses quality components but I can pick up a 256GB SSD from a reputable name such as Sandisk, WD or Lexar for £25 and I dare say that if I wanted to order hundreds of thousands of them I'd probably get a bit of discount.

Anyway, in short, avoid the Fusion drive Macs like the plague.

And your albums ? Your titles ? Keywords ? Your modified photos? There's an awful lot more to an iPhotoLibrary than meets the eye.
In that case you may want to investigate the ways Photos can manually import libraries from other applications, including iPhoto and Aperture. Thinking back, when I last replaced my laptop the transition from the previous to the new photo app went unnoticed because the process was automatic and part of the overall process of transferring all my data from the previous machine. Obviously, if you’re transferring an old library from another machine you’ll have to arrange some sort of connection, either over a network, or a Time Machine or other backup on an external drive, or an iCloud account if you are sure you have enough storage space (if you don’t have enough storage on your iCloud a/c you can prevent Photos from trying to use it in the Preferences pane).
The process is basically:
  1. Close the Photos app.
  2. Hold down the Option key and open the Photos app again.
  3. When prompted, select the library you wish to open. If the library is not listed, you can navigate to it by clicking "Other Library."
  4. Select the library and click "Choose Library."
Plenty of info via Google, eg Macrumors.

iPhots does not operate on the latest IOS as its 32bit and Catalina is 64bit, do iPhotos will not open.
Yes, I’m aware of that. Hence this thread.

Yes. But I'm talking about migrating to Photos !
Ah I see why you wrote that now, having re-read my first response in post #6. In the last sentence I inadvertently wrote “iPhoto” instead of “Photos”. But in any case, since you also want to migrate all the additional info (keywords etc) rather than just the images alone, maybe my second suggestion in post #27 is more useful.

Ah I see why you wrote that now, having re-read my first response in post #6. In the last sentence I inadvertently wrote “iPhoto” instead of “Photos”. But in any case, since you also want to migrate all the additional info (keywords etc) rather than just the images alone, maybe my second suggestion in post #27 is more useful.

Hi there. I appreciate your suggestions but the bottom line is, as per my OP, that if the versions are that far apart then you do need to use a 'Mac-in-the-middle' as I did. The actual mechanism of transferring 'data' is the simple part !

Latest posts

Back