is Tormek diamond truing device worth having?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicksmith

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Just a simple question.

My Tormek stone could do with a light truing. Is the diamond device the best way of going about this?

Thanks, Nick :?:

Nick,

It is the only way I have trued mine so I can't compare it with another dresser, like the ones with a broad face. It seems to me they might be better inasmuch the Tormek dresser leaves grooves if you are not careful and whilst they come out with care or after a couple of plane irons have been ground, they are a bit annoying.

Having asid this the Tormek thing does work.

Thank you Chris,

Please will you tell me, where might I see a broad one (I don't think APTC have them - or do they!)

Thanks,
Nick

I've only ever used the Tormek one on mine and then onlt a couple of times, the grooves can soom be knocked off with the stone.

Hereare some other dressers made for bench grinders, flat type second from bottom. Would have to make sure you held it at right angles to the wheel.

Jason

nicksmith":2pljm6bz said:
Please will you tell me, where might I see a broad one (I don't think APTC have them - or do they!)
Dunno, perhaps there's a special Tormek one too, but here. I finally prised open the wallet to get one, and it's good.

Cheers, Alf

Hi Nick,

Definitely worth getting the diamond dresser specific for the Tormek as it trues the stone dead parallel to the toolrest bar, meaning that your sharpening of plane irons, chisels etc get better results from the smooth surface of the stone and keeps the ground edge square to the blade.

I use a normal diamond dresser about a half inch wide on the normal grinder and it's fine for that but wouldn't be much good on the Tormek stone as it is much finer and needs to be more accurately flattened to get the best out of the machine.

Cheers

Nick,
Jason and Alf have shown the sort of thing I meant, I envisaged clamping one in a Tormek tool jig to use it. I have a gouge jig that I think would hold it securely at right angles.

chisel":1n2z9gh1 said:
Definitely worth getting the diamond dresser specific for the Tormek as it trues the stone dead parallel to the toolrest bar

I agree! As Chris says it can cause grooves if you're not careful but they don't cause a problem really

Cheers

Back