Is this Titan router ok for a novice?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calv

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/31965/Pow ... outer-230V

I've never had or used a router, but am getting highly fed up with coming across projects that need one! :roll:

Have'nt got a great budget (i blame the kids), so was looking at one under £50 that would give me at least an insight as to what a router can do.

I see from some of the threads here that Titan are an ok make, does this mean this could be an ok starter router for me?

Thanks for any advice.

Calv.

Yes it will be ok.(I have a Titan random orbit sander - been quite alright so far..)
For 1/2" bits,it may be a little underpowered,for 1/4" bits,it may seem a little heavy for hand-held use,but it will be ok.
Depends what sort of use you intend for it - if mainly hand-held,you might find it easier to get a smaller router (1000w sort of size) and stick to 1/4" bits.

Andrew

Hmm Well I have to state first that Screwfix aint what it used to be.I cannot see myself buying much at all from them ever again. Especially not power tools. Better bargains to be had elsewhere.
As for Titan, far as I can see its a Screwfix own brand, quite probably rebadged Ferm or suchlike and as such you are hardly likely to get an impartial review, only what Screwfix marketing Dept tell you.
Fair enough its a budget tool, and as such its not going to be a stunning performer but there are plenty of others to choose from in the sub brand market arena. For example Ebay will throw up loads...........and there are definitely ones I would avoid/ IE: Black Spur and Silverline to name two.
Now no doubt some people will have had or have these and either swear by them or swear at them...These are disposable units, you read the fine print are they are for light occasional use at best, once warranty is out thats it, doubtful availability of spares and probably cost more to fix than the original purchase price. These tools are landfill with delusions.
However saying that there are some powertools out there with a similar cost but seemingly a different manufacturing philosophy driving them.
I will give an example:
I had a job about 4 years ago which involved renewing some timber framework that was attached to brick walls..........The timber was held in place by various rawl type bolts that had rusted badly and could not be unscrewed so needed an angle grinder on the job, which I didn`t have.
Next trip to my timber yard I bought a cheapie angle grinder, specifically for this job, it was £15:00 and if it did this job and then died I was happy with that. Better than buying a £100:00 "Brand" and never using it again. ( never needed one before )
Anyway, the Brand was Einhell, and it tore through the task, powerful, easy to handle and made of decent materials, soft touch tough plastic and decent steel. Came with spare brushes, 5 disc set, visor, tape measure nd case.
It is still going strong...been through about 50 discs ( stone and metal) with it now, and last Sept had 2 full days with it removing 60 square metres of steel roofing fixings and it never even got warm..Ergonomically good, so comfortable to use for extended periods. All for £15:00

So, point is, I see Einhell also do various routers, some of which are well in your budget.........Some look like an Elu 96 clone, right down to the spindle lock............But nature of it is that tools of this price rarely get impartial reviews because of the market they are aimed at, DIY and weekenders rarely depend on them for a living, so its of no great consequence if they last or not, and the expectations of their performance is far less than at the other extreme of a tradesman buying such as a Festool.
So with low cost own brand tools you have to depend on what the distributor or reseller tells you....
Only advice I can offer is that based on my experience, and as someone who depends on these tools for a living,if I had to buy a router on your budget it would be an Einhell

Perhaps other members will have different experience with this brand or others, hope you manage to end up with something that does the job for you !

Chris

I can only talk about my cheapo one, a Challenge from Argos (catalogue no 7110144) which seems similar. It's reasonably made and has been working well so far (but admittedly I only use it occasionally). I have it mounted under a home-made table and seems accurate enough in this setting. The included bits also save you an initial cost and although they are obviously low quality they are enough to get you going.

I personally dislike routers with exposed springs like the Titan. The combination of sawdust and oiled components seems a recipe for disaster.

Another thing - before you buy a cheap router test whether it's plunging ok. My first one had to be returned because it was so stiff it wouldn't plunge.

BTW, Argos have a Worx of similar specs on offer for £37 (cat.no. 7110151).

Hey.

I've been using a cheap'n'cheerful, ProPower 1/4" from B&Q for the last 2 years. Cost £30ish. Came with a bunch of cutters.

Operation wise - it's never failed me. Been using it fairly frequently for some pretty heavy moulding/plunge cutting work. No probs.

I'm looking to move on to to bigger and .... well just bigger things really. 1/2" seems to offer more possibilities as regards cutting tasks (doors, worktops etc..) and i've had my eye on either the MacAllister 1/2" from B&Q (£65ish?) or the Worx 1/2" in Argos (£60ish).

I've used MacAllister tools before and have been pleased with their quality. The Worx cordless drill has been giving me some issues, but I think that's largely down to me using in incorrectly :oops:

Which one you go for depends on what jobs you see yourself needing it for. Small edge moulding can be done with a 1/4" (cheaper as well as a safer starter tool in routing). Deeper plunge/cutting - 1/2" (more expensive and potentially more of a handfull).

All the best! :D

Back