Is this the cut you’d expect from a 4 TPI bandsaw blade?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farlsborough

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, newcomer here! Currently re-arranging workshop (who isn’t ;)) and have replaced a hardworking 10” Ferrex bandsaw with a used 14” Jet JWBS. It’s a 2007 model and presumably European; most info/videos for 14” Jet BSs are for US models which look substantially different.

Overall, happy. Had new urethane belts recently fitted. Needed new guide bearings (thanks, Bearing King!). De-tensioning mechanism seemed stiff/ceased; the top wheel didn’t seem to move when released, but having tentatively loosened some of the Allen machine screws either side of the mechanism and sprayed some oil in the vicinity it seems to have done the trick! Set up as per Snodgrass method; I don’t know if that’s recommended or frowned on in these parts:LOL:

However, I was initially disappointed with the choppiness of the cut. The blade it came with looks like it’s got life in it, but the back of the blade seems to waver more than I’d expect, and this is the result I got.

Fitted a new blade that came with it, thinner, 7 TPI and got a result I’m much happier with (phew!). And, this is more similar to the blade I’ve been used to on my little Ferrex.

I’m just wondering if this is par for the course with a lower TPI blade, whether the blade is fine but needed more fettling, or it suggests the blade’s twisted/warped etc. and a new 4 TPI should give me a better result?

I’ve uploaded a pic of the bandsaw (without table) in case anyone knows where I might find the manual. Too old for the current Jet website.
48E0BAB8-BA29-41FB-83F0-48833EEC8F11.jpeg
F17A35BA-3B9A-40AF-8AEA-B2C753E8B95B.jpeg

Buy a new blade and try that. I’d say it’s not horrendous and if it’s cutting straight you’re most of the way there

As Adam says; you have a bent tooth.

Tuffsaws do some nice blades ideal if you want a clean finish

Never seen anything as bad as that cut. Yes you have something wrong.

Given what you have said I would start from first principles and make sure everything is correct and set up correctly (nothing wrong with Mr Snodgrass and his ways I do it and have never had an issue).

As Robin says, get a new blade from Tuffsaws. Ideally either a 5/8 or 3/4 inch wide Premium or M42 blade with a Skip tooth pattern 3 or 4 tpi. With everything correct, you should get a very clean accurate cut ready for your planner.

Your Jet bandsaw looks modern so can't see a reason why you can't find a manual. Contact Axminster Tools they may be able to help or West country Tools & Machinery. Have you tried putting your model type in Google to see if it comes up? Often PDF manuals are free to download.

Hi Farlsborough, It's a JWBS14 - I have the CE manual and exploded parts view in PDF and Word format.
If you want to private message me your e-mail address I will send them over.
There would have been a small stand with it originally too - maybe old owner got rid of?
I'm sure that is the CE European version too - we sold quite a few of them.
Cheers, Nick

My 4tpi blade does a much smoother cut.

An optimist might say its one or two teeth out of line. A pessimist might say its one or two teeth in line and the other few hundred out. If its cutting OK probably the former. I wonder if there might be something wrong near the weld?

Thanks all, and Nick, I’ll be in touch! Will try a Tuffsaw blade - I’ll be delighted if it’s the blade because everything else seems fine, so would rather not discover it’s some major part that’s warped and will cost hundreds to replace. The old owner sounded genuinely impressed by the saw and sorry to lose it etc. (Needed more cutting height) so I’ll be surprised if it’s a lemon.

Hi Farlsborough, It's a JWBS14 - I have the CE manual and exploded parts view in PDF and Word format.
If you want to private message me your e-mail address I will send them over.
There would have been a small stand with it originally too - maybe old owner got rid of?
I'm sure that is the CE European version too - we sold quite a few of them.
Cheers, Nick

Nick - I thought I’d DMed you but have maybe left a “profile comment”?! Sorry - can’t work out DMs on this site? Will learn I’m sure!

Back