Is this the best bargain of the week?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsb

Established Member
Reaction score
I popped into one of those old style ironmongery type shops this morning (you know the sort, the ones that sell everything and has that smell of paraffin) and on a bottom shelf covered in dust and oddments of boxes was this beast. The young lad asked if he could help and we had a chat about how old Elu tools are now and this was probably older than he was. He said there has been some old stock from upstairs and was just getting rid of some bits and pieces. Anyway I asked how much it was and off he trotted to the boss to ask. He came back and said " if it works you could have it for £10".
As you can see, it's now home with me.
I've never had a belt sander before so if anyone could tell me how to put the belt onto the sander, I'd appreciate that

Attachments

• Sander1.jpg
    Sander1.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 143
  • Sander2.jpg
    Sander2.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 147
  • Sander3.jpg
    Sander3.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 146
  • Sander4.jpg
    Sander4.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 141
Crackin litle bargain(y)I would be asking the owner what else he might be wanting rid of ,who knows what treasures may be lurking:)

Crackin litle bargain(y)I would be asking the owner what else he might be wanting rid of ,who knows what treasures may be lurking:)
I have asked him to have a look for any other elu stuff. He thinks there a little palm sander somewhere, still in the box

If you've been a really good boy santa might arrange for a couple of routers to be hidden in the back, if so grab em regardless of price - well to a point

Brilliant find. I've been keeping an eye on these on ebay hoping to find one at a reasonable price just to gain an armature. I would say this one would sell for over £150. This is an early model. There were 5 versions and later ones were identified as Type 2,3,4 or 5 on the label.
The 560mm belts can be a bit difficult to find. The last ones I bought were imported from Germany.
Brian

Brilliant find. I've been keeping an eye on these on ebay hoping to find one at a reasonable price just to gain an armature. I would say this one would sell for over £150. This is an early model. There were 5 versions and later ones were identified as Type 2,3,4 or 5 on the label.
The 560mm belts can be a bit difficult to find. The last ones I bought were imported from Germany.
Brian
Hi Brian, I was sent a link to your post where you rebuilt yours, regarding putting the belt on. You did an amazing job. I've now had a play with the sander, but I must admit I can't see myself using it as it just seems too fierce or aggressive, for anything I do. I think I'll go back and get the palm sander (add it to my small collection of orbital sanders) and put this up for sale

Before you ditch it you may want to have a look at the book

elu-mhb90-belt-sander

It says on the languages page that English is on P13, but it doesn't take the diagrams in to account so go to P20. I have had a Bosch belt sander for quite a few years. It isn't used very much, but when I do use it it's a fantastic bit of kit. The grade of the belt can make a hell of a difference on the 'agression'.

I thought ironmongers like that had gone extinct 20 years ago. Peter Crisps in Rushden was wonderful, but they disappeared around the millenium. An excellent find. OP.
The shop has been there for years but I think it changed hands a few years back. I remember when I was a kid (showing my age now) going to our local hardwear shop to buy paraffin for some heaters we had in our house and that smell of these type of shops just takes me back to being a kid. I'll always have a walk round these type of shops as you'll never know what you might find

As jozjob said, the belt grit makes a huge difference. You can flip it upside down on a bench to sand smaller parts.... for that price, its a keeper!!! Just get a few grits of belt, maybe 80, 120 and 180..... the 180 will probably give you a finish like 240grit, i find belt sander finish is often finer than expected.

Back