Is this purpleheart?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twister

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
Forum Newbie looking for some pearls of wisdom;
I'm wondering if someone could help me identify this;
detail
(this is my first post so i hope this pic comes out.)
It's a lamp I made a couple of weeks ago from what i think is purpleheart (it was a pice 10 inches long and about 4 square covered in something like creosote, and was very dense), but having read other threads on the forum, I'm a bit confused. The wood was bright purple (almost pinkish) when initially turned, but seemed to oxidise (turn brown) within 24 hours. Other posts on the forum seem to suggest that purpleheart goes purple with light exposure, so i'm not sure what i've got. It was very heavy/dense, very dry, and not the most enjoyable to turn, but i was sick of shifting it around the workshop so decided to turn it into my first lamp.
hope someone can shed some light on this (pun intended)
thanks in advance

Sean

oops :twisted: :twisted:
I'll check the instructions for posting images again & try later

Hi twister
Welcome to the forum :)
When you have the pic up and running we will see what we can come up with. :)

Twister
From what you say it sounds like it could of been purpleheart.
In the pic the body looks bubinga, though.
Nice lamp!
Philly :D

Going by what Steve Knight (planemaker with copious experience of using purpleheart) has said, not all purpleheart is created equal. Some of it will have the familiar colour, some of it will go like that. I think he may have had an explanation of why, but blessed if I can recall what it was or where to look for it.

Either way, nice lamp :D

Cheers, Alf

From discussions with others at the turning club, purpleheart can go 'brownish' when exposed to UV over an extended period. Some of the finishing products claim to contain UV filters however which I expect should slow this process down.

Is this a recently turned piece or has it been in the window for a while?

Not sure if this is the answer in this case (esp. if it is recently turned) but may be worth keeping in mind in the furture.

BRgds
Simon.

I have had a better look at it and I think speanwoody has it as I also think it is Paduk.
There are two types and I will have a look as to which one I think it is :)

I think it is Andaman Paduk ( From World of woods ) but I have been known to be wrong :roll: :) .
There is also African Paduk too

Thge African Paduak (Cameroon?) goes deep red when first cut and slowly goes deep brown over time. I'd be very interested in some Andaman-I'd heard it was all gone :shock:
Cheers
Philly :D

Thanks for all the replies chaps (and the encouraging comments :D ). I've had another look at it and googled padauk. I now think this is the answer. The base is American walnut by the way.
The ?padauk was a piece I picked up from my cousin (I get a boot full of timber from him every time I go to Ireland!! :lol: ). He could not identify it but I'll give him a call to see if he can remember where he got it from.
Special thanks to LN for sorting the link to the picture, I still can't figure it out!!

Twister

twister":38r302k8 said:
...snip...
Special thanks to LN for sorting the link to the picture, I still can't figure it out!!
Twister

Lord Nibbo":38r302k8 said:
Hi Twister, welcome to the forum, Here's your pic

HERE

This is the Code to display the word HERE with a link.

Code:
[url=http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/[email protected]/detail?.dir=d73are2&.dnm=3be2re2.jpg]HERE[/url]

Have a look at Hobbit House wood samples from the wood suppliers link below. It may help in confirming the wood.

Nice lamp by the way.

Cheers Chas,
I think the problem was with my browser; here's some better pics (fingers crossed :wink: )
ed0180f9.jpg

ed018079.jpg

I'm now prety convinced it's Andaman Padauk.
Philly wrote;
I'd be very interested in some Andaman-I'd heard it was all gone
I spoke to my cousin tonight; He's got another piece about 4 feet long & 4 inches square with my name on it. I'll pick it up next time I'm over. I'll save some for you, and bring it to the get-together next year :D :D :D

Twister

Hi Philly
I hope you are planning on having a bigger workshop by next year as I think you will have to :roll: :)
All the people that will be coming next year ( Me included :D )

Colin C":1x6b9z56 said:
Hi Philly
I hope you are planning on having a bigger workshop by next year as I think you will have to :roll: :)
All the people that will be coming next year ( Me included :D )

Methinks the Shop Extension might be sneaked into Fiona's budget very soon. :twisted: ..... neighbours and noise dear, must have better sound insulation......

Now what we need/will not accept is anything less than at least one metre clearance around every machine and demo bench, one for each process naturally, remote cctv monitors for those trying to watch two or more demos at the same time......... :twisted:

Now Chas
You are thinking in the right direction :twisted: , what do you say Philly :wink: 8-[

It could be Paduk or some of the more orange mahonany species it most definitely is not purple heart.

The last time I turned paduk my workshop turn orange with the dust did that happen to yours if it did I would say its more likely paduk than anything else.

Back