Is this ok to start with? Cheap B&Q mitre saw.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calv

Established Member
Reaction score
These are going for under £18 Now at B&Q, i've never had a mitre saw so thought it might be a good starter one for me.

Mitre saw

Any advice? I know you get what you pay for sometimes, so i guess i shouldn't expect much, but for small projects i can't go far wrong at that price can i?

Thanks,

Calv.

Hi Calv, I bought a similar thing from B&Q a couple of years back when I needed a saw quick. It wasn't very accurate but with a bit of fiddling it did the job, and is still doing the job now. I still use it for small things like mouldings ETC and it has stood the test of time. I think it cost me around £12 if I remember correctly. Of courxse it isn't a patch on a good quality saw but does the job intended. HTH. :wink:

Ok thanks for that reply, much appreciated.......and now some basic questions as i have never used these type of saws before.

I cut a lot of wood strips that are 18mm deep and 10cm wide. If the max cutting capacity is 55mm, does that mean i can only cut 55mm deep or wide? Sorry, these things baffle me. :oops:

Also, can i leave the blade in the down position and push wood against it like a table saw?

Thanks again,

Calv.

Usually in the descriptions the cutting capacity is given for both the depth of cut and width at 90 degrees, and often at 45 degrees as well.The 55mm mentioned is almost certainly the max depth of cut from this size of blade. You shouldn`t have any trouble with the 10 cm wood strips.Pushing the wood againat the blade is not advisable.The blade rotates in a direction that pushes the wood against the fence built in to the saw.This prevents the wood being pulled away from you, or from you being pulled onto the blade.
I have a similar saw and as long as you dont catch any nails with the blade you should get cuts that are ok but as you say , for the price, don`t expect miracles.
Happy cutting.

Piggy

£18.00 for a mitre saw!! thats like the £5.00 angle grinder.

How does anybody make a bean out of these products? the materials have to be mined, refined, then assembled, packaged, then shipped half way around the world, then shipped to a warehouse then to your shop.

Bonkers. But useful, especially when you are not sure if it is an essential item.

Chunko'.

Calv":11fzcyfr said:
Also, can i leave the blade in the down position and push wood against it like a table saw?

NO!

Calv, don't expect tight mitres from the saw, but if you make a few jigs, you can easily fix any inaccuracies that the saw left. I use a Dewalt mitre saw that costs 15 times that amount new (I got it half price in a sale) and still clean up some cuts before using the wood :shock: :roll:

The one I had (performance model looks identical to that one other than the colour) failed under power. Its retaining bolt on the blade arbour sheared through and it threw the blade out of the housing. THe only thing that stopped it coming all the way out was a combination of the 2 x 4 I was cutting where the blade jammed and the moveable plastic blade guard. (the bit that rotates out of the way as you make the cut. So in short I wouldnt.

Cheers Mike

Money is saved in the bearing system this allows side play in the blade causing it to cut in a different plane every revolution so rough cut and not very accurate the blade has a low number of teeth also. have a look at the Ryobi Compound Mitre Saw EMS-1425L(same add.) should be better and last longer

Thanks for all the replies everyone, i always feel stupid asking such basic questions about tools you lot probably use every day, but it's a first time thing for me so i need as much advice as possible.

Plus theres the safety issue. If anything goes wrong, it's not the same as just slipping with a chisel or something is it, and i have two little girls with me.

Thanks again, i'll probably wait a while and get something a bit better.

Calv.

Calv":1eivkc1v said:
Thanks for all the replies everyone, i always feel stupid asking such basic questions

That wasn't a stupid question. If you want to see some stupid questions, take a look at my post history ;)

I have strips of pine, 2.1m x 94mm x 18mm which i cut up into lengths of 6inches. So i end up with pieces 6 x 4in.

I need to get the cuts exactly square, or at least better than i do with a jigsaw, i always end up cutting wonky! :roll:

I thought that with a mitre saw i cound just slide he length of wood along, and just chop down at each 6in mark.

Calv.

Calv,
Understood. If that's all you want to do, then I imagine the saw could be made to do that pretty accurately and repeatably, if need be with a special jig but just as likely by trial and error adjustment and then fixing it in place.

Latest posts

Back