Is this Mahogany wood? Also, skirting boards for sale

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fanous

Established Member
Reaction score
Chaps,

I've got two things for you to help me with, please...

One, the boards on the first two pics, is that Mahogany? I've got it from an auction, and I'm just not sure. If yes, what's it worth? I have maybe 20 odd boards of it, they are 1m to 2m long, and about 20mm thick, maybe 12cm wide? Not sure if I want to build something from it, or sell it - kind of price dependant.

Second, from an auction again, I have loads of skirting boards. I believe they are used as caps, basically a smaller board to be installed on top of a big skirting board. This will better copy the shape of the wall, and make nice and even thin gaps. I believe this is solik oak, though I could be wrong... In any case, I have 21 lengths, each is about 4m long, give or take. This I would also like to know the value of, and I will be selling this as well. I've got no use for it at all. So if anyone is interested, please get in touch.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210619-145803_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20210619-145803_Video Player.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 145
  • Screenshot_20210619-145742_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20210619-145742_Video Player.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 142
  • 20210619_110034.jpg
    20210619_110034.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 20210619_110042.jpg
    20210619_110042.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 131
  • 20210619_110048.jpg
    20210619_110048.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 110
One, the boards on the first two pics, is that Mahogany? I've got it from an auction, and I'm just not sure. If yes, what's it worth?
It certainly looks as if it qualifies as a “mahogany” however there are a large number of species of wood that are termed mahogany all at different values. I certainly can’t say which, if any, of the species it is from, from the picture.
The amount you have is very small but if someone is looking for exactly the material you have it makes it worth more.

It is Luan loosely known as Philipine mahogany, soft pink stuff used for window frames etc. True mahogany it is not.
The mouldings look to be a type of oak.

I agree with Keith's Meranti comment.
Interesting to read that a true mahogany is not soft.

True mahoganies or the next best thing is what I believe to be
khaya from Africa, which I don't see mentioned all too often, if ever?
along with true Cuban/Honduras which probably needs
paperwork due to CITES.

The real stuff being famed for its tight grain and workability and I suppose weight, as its used for guitar necks.
So, I was under the impression that it was a bit soft compared to a good lump of iroko, but still a good bit harder than meranti.

Nice to read that its likely a good bit denser than I thought :)
Thanks

Tom

It is Luan loosely known as Philipine mahogany, soft pink stuff used for window frames etc. True mahogany it is not.
The mouldings look to be a type of oak.

That would check out. The company that was closing business and therefore Auction was is places had something to do with windows and doors. Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Now let's research that a bit more!

Luan & Meranti will vary hugely in hardness & colour depending on where it grows, I have two old 18ft boards of 14"x 2" Dark red meranti that are hugely heavy & as hard as Oak. The softer stuff can resemble pink balsa wood & often has many thundershakes in it.

Luan & Meranti will vary hugely in hardness & colour depending on where it grows, I have two old 18ft boards of 14"x 2" Dark red meranti that are hugely heavy & as hard as Oak. The softer stuff can resemble pink balsa wood & often has many thundershakes in it.

Looking online, apparently:
"The five main groupings (based on heartwood color and weight) for Philippine Mahogany are Light Red Meranti, Dark Red Meranti, White Meranti, Yellow Meranti, and Balau."

I've looked those up on the trada wood database. The dark red Meranti looks like the closest match from this Philippine Mohagony family. The density is high at 710 Kg/m³ so that lines up with the Keith66 comment as well. And I have not calculated the physical density of what's in my garage, but it is heavy wood for sure.

So assuming that's the species, what's the value of it, does anyone know?

Also, where would this be best used? Outdoor furniture?

Almost certainly red meranti - which is not a species of timber but a loose term covering a range of sub species.

They are big trees - I ordered a pack of it once, the boards that were delivered were 7 metres long.

A few years ago a neighbour made a delivery to a company who had an enourmouse pile of “mahogany” waiting to be burnt, they told him it was used as the packing around big loads of wood to stop the strapping biteing into it, and was good lengths and widths plus it was anything up to 2ins thick,,they were happy for him to take as much as he liked. He built a very smart pub style table/ bench with it and it looked great,,unfortunately after a few months it had badly sagged and it was apparant that this stuff couldnt even support its own weight,,it was the mahogany version of particle board!

Latest posts

Back